456 watchers
Nov 2007
6:05pm, 8 Nov 2007
12,049 posts
  •  
Toks
lol tarange ;-)

where are the usual suspects????

PH, GOBI, IAN M :-) AND MANY MANY MORE :-)

rat race is here, so loads of advice already :-)

i have no idea what an ultra is all about ;-)
Nov 2007
7:11pm, 8 Nov 2007
11,101 posts
  •  
Kent 50 mile challenge is good. It's the most enjoyable 52.4 mile run I've ever done. Ok, it's also the ONLY 52.4 mile run I've ever done. It is a great event though, it rocks.

I'm doing Draycote for the first time in 2008 and it looks like a nice one.

Tell me Tori, have you ever fancied something like the District Double?

Welcome to Fetch!
Nov 2007
7:16pm, 8 Nov 2007
394 posts
  •  
kstuart
What about the Triple Scotch too ;)

Sad to be missing Draycote for Brighton half but a promise is a promise so i cant get out of it :(
Nov 2007
2:33pm, 10 Nov 2007
27 posts
  •  
run free
On an ultra - would you need to bring your own water?

How long would a 100 mile race last?
Nov 2007
2:57pm, 10 Nov 2007
1,233 posts
  •  
Ultracat
run free I have never ran an ultra but I would assume that they would have similar rules as marathons where there is water every 3 to 4 miles,

for some ultras you do need to have support and may have to carry some of your own water especially for trail type ultras.
Nov 2007
3:47pm, 10 Nov 2007
28 posts
  •  
For those interested in getting into ultra distance, or looking for shortish ultras to prepare for 50-100 mile ones check this link to ultra running championships below. These are 2007 events but you get the idea. Most are not only ultra-dsitance but also off-road and damned hilly to boot.

runfurther.com

Also worth checking out the LDWA site, there are loads of long distance walking events around and many are quite welcomhing to runners. They have a calender for all events for over 6 months.

ldwa.org.uk
Nov 2007
3:54pm, 10 Nov 2007
29 posts
  •  
I've done a few long off-roaders (20-33 miles) and many have water and snack stops. Some are particurly generous and throw in a meal at the end. Still best to carry some of your own supplies though in case you get lost - get a back-pack with built in hydration bladder, something like this: startfitness.co.uk
Nov 2007
4:00pm, 10 Nov 2007
16,653 posts
  •  
Gobi
Depends on the races, on point to points it is best to carry your own fluids infact most trail races you are better carrying drinks. Most events will tell you what is available though.

Lapped road courses are more like marathons in regards water stations, mainly as they are there every lap.
Sorry for my late arrival but I was busy enjoying myself here in Barcelona.

Depending what level you are at now should dictate how you approach your training over the coming year. At the end of the day Comrades is tough but it is only 56 or so miles. Next year I would give yourself a number of intermiediate targets to build yourself up but would not actually start specifically for Comrades until January 2009.
I would hunt out some tough off road ultras as build up as list by DE above.
Nov 2007
2:52pm, 11 Nov 2007
28 posts
  •  
run free
Hey Robo-Gobi is Comrades hilly or just long and hot?
Thanks for the local info D-E - I would like to see how I fare in one of these ultras.
Nov 2007
2:55pm, 11 Nov 2007
4,317 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
waves to everyone

Only done 16 ultras

very slowly, so not the best person to ask for advvice

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
Any upcoming races you want putting in the header then drop me (Rosehip) an Fmail & I'll put it in

Spine tracker

live.opentracking.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.