Training twice a day

10 watchers
Mar 2012
12:57pm, 16 Mar 2012
2,117 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
From club runners that I know! You also can't compare your training schedule to an elite runner's schedule. Because (a) you don't have the same time (inc recovery time) to put into your training as they do and (b) they are generally doing much higher mileage (certainly marathon runners).

Just been reading the section about it in Daniels - he recommends a max of 30% on your long run, but concedes that you're running less than 4days a week (which most people are), then your long run is going to make up a bigger proportion of your training week.

I also do my long runs very easy. Well, I try to anyway.
SPR
Mar 2012
1:20pm, 16 Mar 2012
16,231 posts
  •  
SPR
Cool, RF. Not saying it doesn't work, just that as you stated in your above post it is a compromise (due to a marathon target). Running more days + a proportional long run would be more ideal. Of course there are other distances that mean a 'long run' isn't necessary ;-).
Mar 2012
1:21pm, 16 Mar 2012
491 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
As a slight redirecting of this thread, what are the thoughts (either personal or from coaching sources) on having more than one session a day, but in different disciplines. Specifically with duathletes/triathletes, is there any concencus on how training for the different disciplines should be broken down over a week. Training for such things seems to call for two (or possibly more) sessions on some days, but is this seen as the best way to go about things, especially away from very high level training? Is doubling up say running and cycling in a day (with different effort levels) the best way to go about things, or is cutting down the volume per discipline in favour of more complete recovery time considered a better strategy for mere mortals?
Mar 2012
1:24pm, 16 Mar 2012
2,118 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Surely a "long run" is necessary for all distances. Even 1500m runners do a "long run" of 5miles or so. It's just that the length of the long run is proportional to the distance you are training for. Generally, I races distances between 10k and 25k, so a long run 16-18miles (depending exactly what I'm training for) is correct. Having said that, I may think about coming down and training specifically for some 5 and 10ks, so I'll obviously drop my long run to 10-12miles with more sessions and more short-end speedwork.
Mar 2012
1:25pm, 16 Mar 2012
46,890 posts
  •  
Gobi
MM - to do triathlon successfully you have very little choice, the trick is getting the balance right to ensure recovery of different body parts

when training for duathlon I would ride on the mornings I had track that night and run in the mornings when I had a bike session at night.

Gym sessions would happen during the day.

The triathletes will tell you that doing most of the aerobic work on the bike allows the body to recover better allowing you to run harder when you do the run sessions.
Mar 2012
1:26pm, 16 Mar 2012
2,119 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
MM said a dirty word - Triathlon - *spits* ;-)

Seriously though, next time you're down at the track on a thursday, have a chat with Mark - he also coaches a "normal" triathlon group and should be able give you some advice.
SPR
Mar 2012
1:28pm, 16 Mar 2012
16,232 posts
  •  
SPR
Agreed RF, hence the *' '*. I just would never actually log it as a long run.
Mar 2012
1:30pm, 16 Mar 2012
46,891 posts
  •  
Gobi
I'm was a runner first so used cycling to rebuild and maintain base after injury but as my body recovered found that my run cycle split was run heavy.

1. I like runing
2. I had marathon aspirations as well as duathlon
3. history tells me that specificity wins.

4. after injury I felt I needed to run more to "catch up"

Through choice though if triathlon is the goal

Look at your weakness first and devote as much time to that without you performance degrading in the other disciplines.

This year I am a cyclist but still plan to run/race up to about 5kms as my ankle improves. Will be interesting to see what happens as I have no plans to run more than 20 miles a week.
Mar 2012
1:31pm, 16 Mar 2012
2,121 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
And cycle about 900miles per week though, Gobi?
Mar 2012
1:45pm, 16 Mar 2012
46,892 posts
  •  
Gobi
indeed fozzy but from my point of view a distinct lack of specificity and focus on the running

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mjoyeux
Just wondering what type of training runs people who train twice a day do? I do three quality sessio...