Tips for New Marathoners

14 watchers
Feb 2021
5:59pm, 10 Feb 2021
51,431 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It's been extensively researched, Sushi, and the consensus is strong. It's a subject in which replacing folklore with evidence based practice is happening at a glacial pace.
Feb 2021
6:03pm, 10 Feb 2021
7,879 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Hopefully I’m right in saying that some sort of strength-based cross training is beneficial.
Feb 2021
6:05pm, 10 Feb 2021
123 posts
  •  
Little Nell
You need to put in the required training (preferably following a plan that's suitable for your level of experience and fits around your life) BUT don't beat yourself up and give up on training if you happen to miss a few sessions.

Plus, totally agree with Dillthedog and Autumnleaves... do most of your training runs slowly. Rest is also key.

On the day, *DON'T* go off too fast - you will feel great but conserve your energy... this is said for almost all race distances but is particularly true for the marathon.
Feb 2021
6:11pm, 10 Feb 2021
25,000 posts
  •  
Sushi.
I had an Achilles injury and ended up at a sports physio earlly last year who gave me some stretches that helped.

Before that I’d read some of the research so had been a bit sceptical as my Achilles then improved. Maybe that’s because they were specific to the injury rather than just general stretching.

Going to do some reading now so I don’t give poor advice if asked.
Feb 2021
6:17pm, 10 Feb 2021
51,432 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Strength training is A Good Thing for several reasons but needs to be dosed appropriately in someone who's also training for a marathon to avoid overwhelming their ability to recover from their total training load.

Sushi, that sounds like managing rather than ignoring musculoskeletal problems that compromise running. Which is another excellent piece of advice :)
Feb 2021
6:23pm, 10 Feb 2021
4,393 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZ 🇬🇧
Get your running kit sorted and tested wear nothing new on marathon day
Feb 2021
6:49pm, 10 Feb 2021
92 posts
  •  
compartmental
Can I ask a couple of questions?

I’m targeting a 4:30 marathon this autumn. I ran almost exactly 5 hours last year but that time I only did 4 weeks targeted training so I think I can do better with proper focus (not as crazy as it sounds, I was ramping up to PB a half three weeks before with long runs up to 16 miles in august, so just pushed up to 18 miles, one down week for my race, and built back up before marathon taper).

I’m seeing what you’re all saying about training slower but 6:30 min/km already feels pretty slow! To take it even out to 7 min/km feels painful, it would have to be run/walk for anything slower. My PB 5k pace from last august is around 4:40min/km (23:30) and my half is 5:40 min/km (1:55:30). Most of my longish runs (16-21 km) recently have been around the 6-6:20 pace (slowing to 6:30-40 in the ice/snow). What would you all recommend here?

V’rap, I anecdotally find if I do 1 or 2 days of yoga a week, I get fewer injuries. Is this really unsupported by evidence. What does the evidence suggest instead?
Feb 2021
6:50pm, 10 Feb 2021
353 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2012
Re: Stretching - although there is scant scientific evidence to support the theory that stretching prevents injuries, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that it may help keep the athlete(s) running. I think of it this way...if the muscles are tight, the range of motion will likely be altered in the athlete. This is turn *may* increase the likelihood of the athlete(s) picking up niggles.

Doing targeted self-myofascial release (rolling) is effective for many athletes too.
Feb 2021
6:51pm, 10 Feb 2021
38,233 posts
  •  
Nellers
Advice for someone thinking of running their first marathon?

Don't! It hurts! ;-)
Feb 2021
6:54pm, 10 Feb 2021
13,196 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I was about to say something similar Nellers - my suggestion is that if you chop your legs off, they don't hurt afterwards.

About This Thread

Maintained by
OK, now we have the London marathon ballot results out of the way we will likely be seeing a few run...