The dreaded WALL!

19 watchers
Apr 2012
7:19pm, 10 Apr 2012
12,395 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I think experience is a lot of it- knowing how to pace and fuel reliably, and also the increase in fat burning that the increased number of LSRs gives you.
At least I hope so.
Apr 2012
10:15pm, 10 Apr 2012
27,366 posts
  •  
Max71
Olly, I think you're right.

With these two marathons my LSR have been 21 miles, I know that for the next ones my LSR's will be 23 or 24 and there will be a lot more of them. It's a learning curve, right? Trying top find out how your body works and responds... try and test. Sometimes you'll get it spot on other times your body will pull you up and let you know you've fucked up this time.

Bit by bit....
Apr 2012
10:17pm, 10 Apr 2012
5,419 posts
  •  
OllyW
Bit by bit is right. Taken me a good few years to get to the point where the 20 miler is a bog-standard long run rather than the pinnacle of my marathon build up.
Apr 2012
10:21pm, 10 Apr 2012
27,368 posts
  •  
Max71
And every year I say, if I'm not racing I shall just keep ticking over at 15 miler LSR at the weekend. What happens? I get drunk at the weekends when I'm not racing and LSR do not exist. Having said that, I have trained harder with these two marathons than I did even with my first. It has to be a Long Slow Change in habit for me.... I have to trick myself into these things.

Or maybe just sign up for more marathons.
Oct 2012
10:57am, 30 Oct 2012
22,870 posts
  •  
Nellers
They have some great walls in China.
Oct 2012
11:00am, 30 Oct 2012
9,723 posts
  •  
paul a
With proper hydration and nutrition the wall doesn't exist.
Oct 2012
12:25pm, 30 Oct 2012
13,032 posts
  •  
DeeGee
It's going out too fast, isn't it? LSR plod for 3 hours or so fueled with only water, no wall.

Leg it full-pelt, full taper, gels and carb-load, wall at 16 miles!

Two marathons this month, 9 minutes between the two times.

Mablethorpe, A race, tapered and loaded, carried gels. Started like a loon. Wall at 17 miles and a war of attrition.
Newcastle, Longest run back, beers and a chinese buffet the night before. Didn't want to pay for breakfast. Forgot gels. Fueled on orange squash and jelly babies on the way round. Started at a comfortable pace and maintained the same pace/effort throughout the race. I treated it as a fast-ish catered training run.

Problem is, though, if you want to set PBs and meet your targets, you have to push the red line. I know I didn't run as fast as I could have on Sunday, but it's all too easy to misjudge it and destroy your chances completely.
Jun 2022
11:28pm, 2 Jun 2022
17,147 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Is it a stone or brick wall? DG will have the answer.
Sep 2022
8:41pm, 26 Sep 2022
27,820 posts
  •  
Max71
Fecking hell, you've dug deep for this thread.....

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
It gets talked about a lot, doesn't it? And it sounds scary to people building up to their first ma...