The dreaded WALL!

19 watchers
Mar 2011
2:44pm, 5 Mar 2011
3,206 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm still seeing a difference between low blood sugar (causing dizziness, blurred vision), and muscle glycogen depletion (general exhaustion, slowing down, lack of will to continue)....? Or are they the same? C'mon medical types... To my mind they are different, I've only experienced the latter once, and most recently, whereas the latter is always tehre, but it's a gradual disappation.
Mar 2011
4:25pm, 5 Mar 2011
16,173 posts
  •  
Nellers
I'm not sure, Chrisull. I suspect that the muscle glycogen depletion would be a slower approaching effect, whereas a small drop in blood sugar would affect the brain pretty quickly.

I also think (based on nothing more than personal experience and some comments from others) that the low blood sugar/brain function effect compounds the muscle glycogen depletion. If you can keep your concentration and focus maybe you can push through a degree of muscle fatigue and depletion but when your head goes and you can't keep that focus and that confiedence. then the muscle glycogen depletion is going to feel like the end of your world.

On the cold hands thing, though, mate, I'm afraid I have no helpful advice other than perhaps taking some glucose drink with you in a bottle carrier/camelbak so you can keep some degree of fueling going during the race. Don't know how you'd feel about that, though. I tend to carry a bottle in a belt for longer races still. Most don't and some wonder why I bother.
Mar 2011
5:00pm, 5 Mar 2011
31,900 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I see them as a continuum Chris
Mar 2011
9:58pm, 10 Mar 2011
16,220 posts
  •  
Nellers
In scouting around for more advice on this subject I happened upon the BBC Sports Academy Healthy Eating page. It's discontinued so there wasn't a lot of help there but I had to laugh. The top of the page is a series of pictures of role-model type sportsment and women. And Freddie Flintoff.:-0
Mar 2011
10:01pm, 10 Mar 2011
32,093 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
LOL nellers
Mar 2011
10:10pm, 10 Mar 2011
16,221 posts
  •  
Nellers
Surely they might as well have put Phil "the Power" Taylor up there instead!
Mar 2011
10:11pm, 10 Mar 2011
32,099 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Now that would have been good
Apr 2012
1:11pm, 10 Apr 2012
35 posts
  •  
Wintee
Can I re-awaken this thread.
I've just read the whole thing and it's been a great source of inspiration and advice (apart from that video of the Triathlete pretty much dying).
Has anyone had a HRM on when they've hit the wall. Do you see any difference in your heartrate when you hit the wall?

The reason I ask is that I did an 18 miler yesterday and hit a slow patch around mile 17. My pace dropped and my heart rate spiked a few times - up to the 170's which I didn't feel I was putting any more in. Anyone else noticed anything similar? Is this related to the wall/lack of energy?
Apr 2012
2:09pm, 10 Apr 2012
11,540 posts
  •  
DeeGee
That's Cardiac Drift, I reckon:

marathon-training-schedule.com
Apr 2012
2:10pm, 10 Apr 2012
41,058 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I know that my breathing goes to pot when I hit the bad patches

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
It gets talked about a lot, doesn't it? And it sounds scary to people building up to their first ma...