The Sub 3:15 Marathon Thread

2 lurkers | 330 watchers
Apr 2018
12:55pm, 19 Apr 2018
7,447 posts
  •  
LouLou
I'm not sure where I'm going to watch - planning on going for a run early as I'm sure Stoosh will waken me when he leaves the apartment!

Bazo - just go out at sub 3 pace. I can't cope with the drama I'm stressed for you. Definitely go for the cap. You've got so many 3.0x's now. Nothing to lose.
Apr 2018
12:58pm, 19 Apr 2018
7,448 posts
  •  
LouLou
P.S I fully acknowledge that my own experience of the above strategy involved detonating during many a london marathon.

Just remember we never know when the opportunity to race a marathon will be taken from us and though we chose to race we may not always have the choice.
Apr 2018
1:07pm, 19 Apr 2018
4,001 posts
  •  
clare1976
Bazo, 2:59:59... go get it.

Has anybody spectated and run across London between points? We are going down for the day on a bus (my club) and a few of us are thinking about getting off the bus fairly early on course and then making our way towards the finish area on foot as we go, dressed in suitable kit! The transport is always busy / hot even without DLR strikes and plus it would be some Brucie bonus miles. Whilst the course itself is v busy I am hoping that between points, by moving out by a road or 2 to skirt around the edge, it may be fairly easy and runnable? Anybody done similar and got any thoughts or top tips?

Thanks
Apr 2018
1:13pm, 19 Apr 2018
998 posts
  •  
Daz Love
Clare - There will be loads of routes you take away from the race to get to point to point. The only problem is knowing your way around! I am in London regular with work and still get lost now (after 20 years of being up there!)
Apr 2018
1:32pm, 19 Apr 2018
4,002 posts
  •  
clare1976
Lol Daz, thanks - googlemaps will most certainly be my friend!!
Apr 2018
1:37pm, 19 Apr 2018
3,575 posts
  •  
Curly45
Clare what I normally do is: from the start run down to Greenwich mainline station, train to Cannon Street then you can pop onto Embankment at 23.5 and see some elites then dodge into the back streets to Tower Gateway and watch normal peeps coming off tower bridge in both directions then you can run the parallel streets to Whitehall via Charing Cross and see mile 25.

I wouldnt bother trying to get into Canary Wharf without the DLR once the roads are closed!

Also Greenwich mainline is normally quiet, but this year may be busy, you can also take a tube from Cannon's Street to Westminster if you dont want to run and it should be pretty quiet early on.

Also worth knowing there is a great underpass system at Westminster tube station (outside of the barriers so no need to pay) should you need to cross the course there at any point :)
Apr 2018
1:39pm, 19 Apr 2018
3,576 posts
  •  
Curly45
Very wise words Lou:
"Just remember we never know when the opportunity to race a marathon will be taken from us and though we chose to race we may not always have the choice. "
Apr 2018
1:45pm, 19 Apr 2018
28,621 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, plus 1 for Lou's sentiment. Live every day to the full peeps. :-) G
Apr 2018
1:45pm, 19 Apr 2018
63,762 posts
  •  
Gobi
I ran the first 8 miles on the course to get to a view point before it started. Well most of it anyway.
Apr 2018
2:00pm, 19 Apr 2018
185 posts
  •  
only weak men
Bazo - As LouLou has commented you do have a few 3:0xs under your belt and you're arrived at race day healthy after a good block of training so head out at 6:52s and don't slow down.

There are loads of different options for spectating and getting around - I'll be out at Limehouse at the approx. 14 & 21m point, should be a great day.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
For those who want to go sub 3.15 in a marathon and/or those that have already done it and want to give advice. Share your journey or help someone else's! here.

2024 achievers:
Akie: 3:15 @ Rotterdam
allmatthew: 3:09 @ Manchester
Mark J: 3:12 @ Christchurch NZ
PJH92: 3:13 @ London

2024 declarations:
Boston UK 28/4: SJA
Copenhagen 5/5: bowman
Amsterdam 20/10: charlesvdw