Tesco (or other) home delivery

3 watchers
um
Apr 2020
4:52pm, 29 Apr 2020
2,253 posts
  •  
um
Before the lockdown, we hadn't used supermarket home delivery, except for once with Ocado (2010 ish) and once with Sainsburys (2019) when there was a wine offer too good to miss.

Anyway - after during lockdown, I started frequent daily checks of Ocado, Sainsburys and Tescos, without success.
A few weeks ago, I suddenly saw some Teso slots. So grabbed one. That delivered last Wednesday. And then immediatley after, I spotted more slots, so booked one for today. That has just delivered.

In the interim I have been checking Tesco delivery slots 4-5 times a day, twice at just past midnight. With no success and no slots at all.

After today's delivery, I checked and found a range of slots suddenly available for next week. None for the week after.
So I have booked one for the same time next week.

Out of interest I then checked again - and nothing available anymore.

So - does anyone know the algorithms used? Do they open up for repeat customers for a short time after delivery? And deliberately only allow booking one slot, one week ahead (although the site implies up to 3 weeks?)
It seems too similar to be a coincidence.
Apr 2020
4:56pm, 29 Apr 2020
17,334 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
my mum who is shielding currently has a "basket" with 4 supermarkets as she can't get a slot
because she is at home she is looking multiple times a day and night
she is getting a bit distressed about this now
she is 125m away (250 round trip) so I can't pop over with her shopping
Apr 2020
5:44pm, 29 Apr 2020
3,605 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thanks for this, um. We use Tesco and Sainsbury's but hadn't bothered checking their sites under the current circumstances. It certainly beats queuing for nearly half-an-hour and not get everything on the shopping list, then having to go out a few days' later and try again.
Apr 2020
6:15pm, 29 Apr 2020
2,205 posts
  •  
Fitz
Yes, not sure of the exact logic used but (round 'ere anyway) we can't book a new slot until a couple of days after the last delivery has been completed. Seems to be the same on Sainsbury and Tesco.

Vulnerable people should be able to register for priority, although I'm not sure what is the process for doing so.
Apr 2020
6:21pm, 29 Apr 2020
4,045 posts
  •  
Cyclops
My dad has had excellent priority delivery slots from Sainsburys. He had a weekly Thursday night slot and they contacted him and told him that they would ensure that he continued to have that delivery time. They have honoured it.
um
Apr 2020
6:24pm, 29 Apr 2020
2,255 posts
  •  
um
Phil - I've found it can be a lottery. Things can be swiped off the list even before picking. But my tactic is now to book a slot with a single item, and to actual complete the list the day before delivery is due.

With my first order, before realising this, much of what I'd ordered was no longer available.
Some of it is very first world - I can get grumpy. but can't really get upset by (eg) gin not being availablke at their special offer price.

This week, I completed the list yesterday, so wasn't aware of anything turning unavailable, but (eg) I did only get 1 case of beer (vs 2 ordered) and 1 bottle of wine (vs 12 ordered).
2 cauliflowers - one 'giant', one miniature. So on balance OK.
I did order the right size cole slaw this week, not the miniature pot I mistakenly ordered last week.

But better than a 10 mile drive and a 30 - 40 minute queue, and the risky feeling queuing & shopping.

I do miss the 'reduced section' though.
Apr 2020
6:30pm, 29 Apr 2020
2,206 posts
  •  
Fitz
We always secure our delivery slot by putting a bottle of champagne in the basket, then do the actual order 1-2 days before the delivery slot (mostly remembering to remove the champagne from the basket :-)
Apr 2020
8:01pm, 29 Apr 2020
15,813 posts
  •  
Rosehip
EP - mum phoned a number on Tescos website and they opened up slots for her as shielding - with her clubcard number as a long term customer

I can get an Ocado delivery once a week as a long term customer. I've sent alternate weeks to mum - it doesn't seem to matter to them where I get delivery as long as it's only once a week.
Apr 2020
8:20pm, 29 Apr 2020
17,335 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Oh good shout rosehip
May 2020
8:27am, 1 May 2020
11,378 posts
  •  
Ness
If she knows her neighbours might be worth asking if they have a slot. Because I’m going into school next week my mum’s neighbour has arranged to get stuff delivered for her on their order. They‘ll put it in her garage for her.

About This Thread

Maintained by um
Before the lockdown, we hadn't used supermarket home delivery, except for once with Ocado (2010...