Support thread for parents of teenagers

135 watchers
Dec 2021
3:01pm, 18 Dec 2021
6,888 posts
  •  
rockin around the bigleggy
I was a bit more blunt,

'Try speaking like that to strangers outside this house. See how that works out. Now put a civil tongue back in your head or shut up'

or many variations of that theme........
Dec 2021
3:30pm, 18 Dec 2021
1,323 posts
  •  
Fields & fountain, moor & mountain
Good advice HP.
Dec 2021
3:33pm, 18 Dec 2021
8,617 posts
  •  
sallykate
I'm getting a bit fed up with daughter (16) outsourcing responsibility of things to me.

e.g.: if I don't prompt her to revise it's my fault if she doesn't do well in exams.

Today: I didn't contact the person whose bookshop she works in for a couple of hours each Saturday to confirm what time he wanted her there, so it's my fault that she ended up rushing around to get ready when we eventually established (at 1308) that he wanted her there at 1345.

I'm sure she'll get there in the end but it's frustrating as hell!

Rant over...
Dec 2021
3:46pm, 18 Dec 2021
9,322 posts
  •  
Winter WAnderland
Oh sallykate I feel your pain! I get shouted at for prompting to revise, then have to deal with the meltdown when no revision has been done and the results are not quite as expected!

She'll definitely get there.
Dec 2021
3:48pm, 18 Dec 2021
51,590 posts
  •  
LindsD
Yup. I have two like that. Billy is getting better, to be fair.
Dec 2021
8:04pm, 18 Dec 2021
38,793 posts
  •  
Purps
bigleggy, I'm waivering between that and riding it out. I don't know what's best. Well I do, because I know they don't speak like that outside of the house and if they did they would be in trouble. But it's also her safe space and with so much changing and about to change it must be really hard for her.
Dec 2021
2:46pm, 19 Dec 2021
6,889 posts
  •  
rockin around the bigleggy
Don't know the background Purps. But I do know you'll get spoken to at a level you're prepared to accept or tolerate.

You'll figure it out I'm sure. Good luck !
Dec 2021
3:32pm, 19 Dec 2021
24,765 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I agree but would also say you get back what you give out. I really struggle not to speak reactively and it does no good whatsoever. I am trying to speak more calmly but the more I worry the more I become fishwifeesque and with my own child, she speaks worst when she’s poorly or in a bad way :-( Also, I try not to live a life of regret, that’s a bit of an uphill battle right now :-p
Dec 2021
4:38pm, 19 Dec 2021
51,615 posts
  •  
LindsD
Me. That's me. And I'm not a v good actor.
Dec 2021
9:34am, 20 Dec 2021
38,809 posts
  •  
Purps
Dipps, you are right, there are times when I speak reactively and I need to think about that and how I can do better myself to help her.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Thread was started by Trin, back when her kids were in their teens.

A place to vent, but also to share good news.