Support thread for parents of teenagers

135 watchers
Dec 2021
11:19am, 18 Dec 2021
1,827 posts
  •  
Christmas’ Dad
Perfect description of any tween, I think Purps. It does get better (eventually)
Dec 2021
11:27am, 18 Dec 2021
38,792 posts
  •  
Purps
It's hard to know if she really is that grumpy or if she's putting it on. I do know she really is grumpy and annoyed and everything else a tween is, coupled with parents who are getting unmarried. I just don't know how much is forced or if that's how she is feeling. It's hard. How can you get them to stop speaking like that?
Dec 2021
11:45am, 18 Dec 2021
1,829 posts
  •  
Christmas’ Dad
How can you get them to stop speaking like that?

Anyone who had the answer to that question could become very rich! 😬 It is hard, especially when you have your own stuff going on. Sadly at that age they tend to just react how they feel in the instant and, of course, nobody else’s feelings come into it. From experience the best approach is to *try* to stay as calm in your reactions as possible. It won’t always make an obvious difference to your tween but, if nothing else, it reduces your stress levels
Dec 2021
11:47am, 18 Dec 2021
1,830 posts
  •  
Christmas’ Dad
And occasionally they’ll surprise you and the lovely child you used to have will suddenly reappear, like a glimpse of sun on a stormy day.
Dec 2021
11:57am, 18 Dec 2021
24,716 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Yes CD I agree. Rustle up humour and a light touch if you can, it tends to get you further. And even if their siblings loathe them, they’ll still all gang up together when they need to xx
Dec 2021
11:58am, 18 Dec 2021
1,318 posts
  •  
Fields & fountain, moor & mountain
My brother is still like that aged 37, instant overreactions not considering anyone else’s feelings. It’s very tiresome.
Dec 2021
1:51pm, 18 Dec 2021
36,360 posts
  •  
halfpint of mulled cider
As others have said a calm response is best - modelling calm is what they need really. I used to use 'I know you are angry/frustrated/upset but it's not OK to talk to me like that' quite a lot. Along with 'we can talk about this when we're calmer'.

According to Erickson part of forming your own identity seems to be to reject or distance yourself from those who would previously have been quite influential in your life. So pushing against parents and siblings can be part of development. Plus you have that whole re-organisation of the brain which affects executive function and therefore self control and perspective taking.
Dec 2021
1:52pm, 18 Dec 2021
36,361 posts
  •  
halfpint of mulled cider
ION QP got his time off over Christmas so I get to have him home from 23rd to 26th :) He'll be with his mates for his birthday though.
Dec 2021
2:54pm, 18 Dec 2021
51,589 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good news HP
Dec 2021
2:55pm, 18 Dec 2021
24,724 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Yay! And thanks as ever for advice HP. I’ll try and remember the “we’re”. Also everyone is wiped out

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Thread was started by Trin, back when her kids were in their teens.

A place to vent, but also to share good news.