Sub 85 min Half Marathon Support Thread

67 watchers
Nov 2011
5:41pm, 22 Nov 2011
1,220 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
I think any of us that are "serious" about it cant say sub 85, but for any just having a bit of a laff while happening to be running at same time CAN say sub 85 ;-)
Nov 2011
9:23am, 23 Nov 2011
1,456 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Based on my (limited) experience I would say that sub 85 on just marathon training is more in the sub 3hrs bracket. This is based on my 3:02:02 off a (relatively untapered) 1:25:46 half. The milestone for 3:15 is realy 90 minutes.
Nov 2011
9:24am, 23 Nov 2011
1,457 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Apologies for poor spelling.
Nov 2011
10:45am, 23 Nov 2011
146 posts
  •  
minutehunter
I would agree on that BR. I think as a rule of thumb in our speed region, HM pace works out at around 30 seconds faster than MP. Of course a lot depends on each individual's conversion (which has been discussed extensively somewhere else ;-)).

Potentially opening a can of worms here, but since I hope we keep this thread to HM talk only and pace that makes us look good (sub 6:30 minute/miles - doesnt that sound fast?), what are your thoughts on pacing the HM? Do you see the elevations of the course and go full throttle downhill and conserve energy for the uphills in order to bank maximum time? Do you say "OK lets try 6:40's all around today - even pacing", do you go conservative for 8 miles and blast the last 5? Or do you heart rate monitor your performance?

I try and run an even race however I have been victim of both, finishing exhausted with slowing miles and finishing with way too much energy. Both result in underachieving.

Good to know your thoughts as I think the main difference with the Marathon is that HM can be a lot more experimental so might get some interesting approaches.
Nov 2011
12:13pm, 23 Nov 2011
1,458 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Even paced should be best MH, although it is common for a runner to break their 10M, or even 10k PB in a half. Keeping to 6:30 pace and gaining on the downhills/losing on the uphills would seem sensible. I often think a good approach is to run a good "par" race up to 10 miles then push for the PB in the last 3, if the enrgy is there.
Nov 2011
12:48pm, 23 Nov 2011
836 posts
  •  
postieboy
Even pacing. Both my sub 85 HM's came from trying to run a consistant pace from start to finish. Bath I ran perfectly with all my mile splits being between 6:22 and 6:16.
RFJ
Nov 2011
1:39pm, 23 Nov 2011
2,880 posts
  •  
RFJ
Good approach BR... That nearly happened at Pewsey this year, had a very conservitive start that probably ruined any chance of a PB, from 7m was able to pick up the pace and likewaise again after 10m..... and in the end missed out on a PB by 16 secs... but had over a minute negative split.....

I am also a little weird in that both my Mara and HM PBs are both on rolling / undulating courses and not flat courses......... answers on a post card please....
Nov 2011
1:50pm, 23 Nov 2011
1,088 posts
  •  
Westley
Even pacing for me, but if there are significant up and down hills I will maintain effort and assume that the pacing evens out. I agree with BR, sub 85 indicates a sub 3 marathon.
Nov 2011
3:05pm, 23 Nov 2011
480 posts
  •  
baggieboy
RFJ - this is only my own thoughts, but I think it harder to keep an even pace on a flat half, because you are working at the same intensity for 13 miles.

On a rolling course you tend to work on the uphill section reach the top then try to relax and recover but trying to keep the pace on the downhill part.

In some ways it like doing intervals (work and recover).

As I said this is only my own thoughts and could be a load of tosh ;).
Nov 2011
3:50pm, 23 Nov 2011
837 posts
  •  
postieboy
If a sub 85 HM indicates being able to run a sub 3 hour marathon, then I'm doing something very wrong somewhere but don't know what. I can run a 38 minute 10k, an 83 minute HM but have only managed a 3:26 marathon.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bazoaxe
OK so who is in for a sub 85 attempt, details below for up coming races that you plan to have a go at... :-)