Sports drink/gels training packs

2 watchers
Aug 2012
1:22pm, 28 Aug 2012
462 posts
  •  
MikeMawby
Hello everyone

Does anyone have any experience of the gatorade G series training packs (you know the ones have one prior to the run one during the run and one after the run) or any other training packs like these, I was contemplating getting some of these to aid with training but do you think they are worth it? Be interesting to hear some viewpoints on these...apologies if i have already missed a thread on this
:-)
Aug 2012
3:15pm, 28 Aug 2012
510 posts
  •  
Blunderwoman
Hi Mike,

My only experience of Gatorade was at the Greater Manchester marathon this year. I had my own drink prior to the run and the "in-run" Gatorade on the way round seemed to be ok. I had no ill effects and it did the job as well as my usual tipple. My hands were too cold to open the post race Gatorade but I did use it a few weeks later after I finished the Great Manchester Run. Tastewise it's on a par with Lucozade and definitely better than Powerade. If I'm honest I'm not sure whether any of these drinks do what they claim as I feel just as good on a long run withTesco's own brand and finishing up with a Yazoo or Frijj milk drink. This probably isn't very helpful but at least it will put you near the top of the feed for a while and you might get a better answer from somebody else :-)
Aug 2012
4:35pm, 28 Aug 2012
463 posts
  •  
MikeMawby
Hi Blunderwoman,

Many thanks for the advice, was very helpful :-) I was gonna do the Greater Manchester marathon myself earlier this year, ended up not doing it through injury heard it was a good run from other people in my club shame about the weather for it though!
Aug 2012
4:50pm, 28 Aug 2012
53 posts
  •  
olde english
I use the recovery drinks mainly for goodness shakes. They tend 2 keep me ticking over and take away the need 4 scoffing food straight after a run. Think these things only come into play when you re on higher milage runs i.e. 60min+ jobs.
Aug 2012
6:30pm, 28 Aug 2012
20 posts
  •  
andydgg
everyone has their own preference, mine is sis go, then rego, crisps and beer after an lsr, powerade does a good job too. sugar and salts are the important things to get inside you after and during a long run.
Aug 2022
5:06pm, 30 Aug 2022
931 posts
  •  
Bosun Tony
Over the years tried lots of different gels, saw an ad for CAFFEINE BULLET. 4 wrapped chews per pack. 4 packs for about £13 I think. 100MG caffeine and 27 calories per chew. Done a couple of 10 milers with them, take one 10 mins before heading out and one at half way. Really feel the kick. Certainly gets into your system quickly. Going to stick with these I think. Well worth a try if you fancy a change. You will find them on AMAZON
Aug 2022
5:13pm, 30 Aug 2022
43,530 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Wow Tony, that is a long time between posts - 10 years since andy's last update almost to the day. Hope you're well. You still out in the North Sea mostly and training on a pitching treadmill?! :-) G
Aug 2022
6:20pm, 30 Aug 2022
932 posts
  •  
Bosun Tony
Hello mate ! at the ripe old age of 59 decided to call it a day. Quite liking this retirement malarky ! Been going away to sea since I was 16, so missus happy that I have no excuses for not to get all the jobs done. Hope all is good with you.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by IrishMike
Hello everyone

Does anyone have any experience of the gatorade G series training packs (you know ...