Rugby, the original version

65 watchers
Jul 2021
1:00pm, 19 Jul 2021
4,741 posts
  •  
Big Al Widepants
Matt Dawson has 7 English and no Scots in his starting 15 for the first test.
bbc.co.uk
Jul 2021
1:53pm, 19 Jul 2021
334 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
TBH I have only 1 Scot in my starting 15 with 5 Englishmen. No AWJ (wouldn't risk having the replacement lock having to play 70mins after SA target AWJs shoulder), Murray (too slow) or Faz (too pedestrian and a liability in the tackle)

Jones
Cowan Dickie
Furlong
Itoje
Henderson
Lawes
Curry
Faletau
Price
Biggar
Watson
Aki
Henshaw
Rees-Zamitt
Williams

Watsons a close call with Curry. I've never rated Sutherland or Fagerson, Russell warms the bench if fit, Van de Mewre, Hogg and Harris are unlucky. I'd go with Harris if Aki and Henshaw weren't a partnership for Ireland
Jul 2021
1:57pm, 19 Jul 2021
2,800 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I'm almost in agreement with Matt Dawson on that team, based on current form and I'm Welsh.

I would put Ali price at SH and Beard at 5 as I think it's a bit early for AWJ to come back (he should have another 1/2 game as a replacement).
Jul 2021
9:33am, 21 Jul 2021
23,624 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
A few shocks, if this rumoured XV is true:

PROBABLE LIONS TEAM TO FACE SOUTH AFRICA

Starting XV: S Hogg; A Watson, E Daly, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, A Price; W Jones, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong; A W Jones (c), M Itoje; C Lawes, J Conan, T Curry

Subs: K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, I Henderson, T Beirne, H Watson; C Murray, O Farrell

To be honest I've not watched enough of the tour games to properly judge whether the shocks (eg Lawes over Beirne, Conan over Felatau, Daly and AWJ in, no Rees Zamit etc) are decent picks based on what should be the case: form demonstrated on tour, rather than reputation. The test will be interesting!
Jul 2021
11:13am, 21 Jul 2021
2,805 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I think the biggest shocks on form are Hogg and vdM over LWilliams and Josh Adams. I don't think Josh could have done anything more than he did (8 tries) but Gats has gone with the more aggressive vdM. So I'm not sure about the back row or back three but the rest of the team is true to form. Once he was signed of as fit AWJ had to start as captain.
Jul 2021
11:30am, 21 Jul 2021
7,199 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Ian McGeechan (on Brian Moore's podcast) philisophy would have been more to start with experienced, steady hands - and bring on folk to increase the pace of the game later.

From memory, key examples of that being:
(Start & Bench:)
Murray & Price
Conan & Simmonds
Furlong & Sinckler
George & LCD
W Jones & Mako V
Beirne & Watson

I think the 23 listed above doesn't *really* change style from starting XV to finishing.
Which may be fine - Gatland has been right before....
Jul 2021
11:35am, 21 Jul 2021
7,200 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Another way of putting it: Geech is more conservative, and wanted more experience on to start. The XV named has 9 getting first Lions Test caps....
Jul 2021
11:40am, 21 Jul 2021
2,806 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I'm hoping LR-Z and Marcus Smith will be playing in the third test. I think that will happen if the first two games are either both won or both lost.
Jul 2021
11:48am, 21 Jul 2021
23,626 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
I think Gatland's philosophy is that going for a physical arm wrestle - even with the aim of 'increasing pace' later plays into SA's hands. He saw it with South Africa A - we lost the physical battle early - were behind big time - and increasing pace later couldn't reverse all of the damage.

I can't remember what the subs rules were for Geech's 97 tour - however I don't think you could play a SA style 6-2 bench and have 6 forwards who can come on after 55 minutes if the starters are gassing. That makes any catch up very hard.

As they say in boxing 'don;t hook with a hooker, or you'll get hooked'. Thus he wants pace - a fast game early and thoughout. I'd imagine that's the usual template the All Blacks follow when playing SA.

Gatland is probably the only bloke who knows as much about getting the LIons to win as Geech - so we'll see! For the first time it feels exciting and proper Lions....
Jul 2021
11:53am, 21 Jul 2021
10,636 posts
  •  
lammo
I can't comment on selection , but i think we're in for a lesson whoever starts

About This Thread

Maintained by flanker