•  
richmac
Yup
Aug 2021
3:01pm, 2 Aug 2021
23,663 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Just seen a remarkable stat: No 10 Dan Biggar made 3 passes in Saturday’s test. Every other possession kicked.

They think it’s the lowest ever by an international 10, certainly among the time that stat has been collated. Really shows the poverty of the gameplan.

Other back up stats show the same, eg precisely 0m made by Chris Harris.

Gatland’s last involvement with Nothern Hemisphere rugby on Saturday (DO NOT even think about it England…..), can he at least go down fighting? FFS pick a team to play a bit this time.
Aug 2021
3:15pm, 2 Aug 2021
2,810 posts
  •  
B Rubble
It makes you want to go back to watching Gloucester in the 1990s rolling the ball forwards on a muddy Kingsholm pitch.

I can't see the Lions winning the next match. Even if Gatland tries to bring on the exciting players like Smith and R-Z they're just going to be rolled over by the Springbok juggernaut. Vermeulen is back on Saturday making it even more difficult for them.
Aug 2021
4:35pm, 2 Aug 2021
7,215 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I don't think selection needs to change as much as the approach. We've got to find a way to keep them moving around, increase the ball-in-play time, but yet not be vulnerable to getting turned over by their (fabulous) targeted counter rucking.

Might try to do that by using Farrell at 12 perhaps, Henshaw to 13.
Aug 2021
4:37pm, 2 Aug 2021
23,665 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
I think he's too far down the road to change tack now, and will hold the view it was the right gameplan badly executed.

Such a change will look like panic and frankly I'd rather special talents like LRZ and Smith were spared any damage so hopefully they can light up the AI's and 6N.
Aug 2021
4:42pm, 2 Aug 2021
7,216 posts
  •  
paul the builder
You're such a dark cloud :-) Written this off and now in damage-avoidance mode?

I'm not suggesting he needs to go mad - just if the game becomes stop-start with constant set-pieces, there's only one winner. I'm not suggesting Barbarians spirt.

It took balls to drop BOD in 3rd test 2013. I don't know what Gatland *will* do, but I believe he's capable of a change of plan...
Aug 2021
4:43pm, 2 Aug 2021
23,666 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
I'd have Liam Williams in all day long. I remember a couple of years ago England had a couple of brilliant 6N wins at Ireland and home to France using a kicking game - we tried it in Cardiff and Liam fielded everything.

A bit like the Lions on Saturday the thought 'this isn't working this week, let's try something else' never came.....

Van De Merwe is the new Cuthbert as well....
Aug 2021
4:48pm, 2 Aug 2021
7,217 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I think if Williams had been on the bench, then Hogg might have been spared some of the painful day he had.... but he wasn't. Not averse to a change at FB - they're certainly going to have plenty to field again.
Aug 2021
5:48pm, 2 Aug 2021
2,811 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I'm guessing Price back at SH, Farrell and Henshaw; Watson, Adams and Williams. It's not a huge change as all except Adams have been in the starting 23 but might get things moving around a bit quicker. I'm not sure there will be any (unforced) changes in the forwards, although they did get a bit beaten up.

I didn't think there was a bad choice for a Lions back 3, but it didn't go well for any of them on Saturday.
Aug 2021
7:26pm, 2 Aug 2021
16,330 posts
  •  
richmac
Nah, don't agree with shielding the young 'uns, they need to know how it feels to play in such an intense atmosphere, get it done now.

You don't want to wait till the WC and then have to do it.

About This Thread

Maintained by flanker