Ladies Who Lift...

92 watchers
25 Mar
11:06am, 25 Mar 2024
68,315 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'll probably come off mine sometime too, Sharkie. I've halved the dose without obvious ill effect. And at that point I'll probably read the bit in Next Level about adaptogens again.

I'd quite like to squeeze a bone density scan out of the NHS before making a decision. I like to think it's OK, but I have no actual way of knowing.
25 Mar
11:09am, 25 Mar 2024
22,459 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Actually I think it was even earlier - before or coinciding with the Hastings move - so 55 at most.
25 Mar
12:56pm, 25 Mar 2024
74,864 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Doctor took me off mine a couple of years ago with no adverse affects
25 Mar
1:02pm, 25 Mar 2024
22,461 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I am taking my Next Level back to London with me and have started re-reading on the train. I may well have missed useful things by just not being in the mood when I bought it.
25 Mar
2:06pm, 25 Mar 2024
241 posts
  •  
DrMags
Thanks Sharkie and Velociraptor. Hmm, you guys are not selling me on it ha ha. Maybe I’ll save my £20 for something else. Was more interested in scientific approach / evidence for resistance training (“women are not small men” etc) specifically for post menopausal women (few big weights to failure vs many reps low weight to exhaustion etc). Don’t need motivational or inspirational text, just the facts. And as a late comer to menopause (about 53) and then HRT (from this Jan when already 58), I’m not coming off it anytime soon. Or giving up on long distance running and cycling :-)
25 Mar
3:21pm, 25 Mar 2024
3,732 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Stacy Sims did a video with Zoe (yes I know it's Zoe) that might be worth a watch. I am half way through and am finding it interesting.
25 Mar
3:26pm, 25 Mar 2024
31,545 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I'll probably come off mine sometime too, Sharkie. I've halved the dose without obvious ill effect. And at that point I'll probably read the bit in Next Level about adaptogens again. I'd quite like to squeeze a bone density scan out of the NHS before making a decision. I like to think it's OK, but I have no actual way of knowing.

I was never on it, which seems to put me in a minority.
Also trying to squeeze a DEXA out of NHS but even with an awful family history I couldn't get the score high enough.
(Recent symptoms have got me a spine xray though so we'll see what that says)

I read the book, but obviously wasn't impressed enough to take any advice.
28 Mar
10:13am, 28 Mar 2024
242 posts
  •  
DrMags
Lesley C, it was after watching the Zoe video that I considered getting the book :-) hadn’t heard of her/the book till then. Still, I have lots of books on training especially for women/over 50’s that I haven’t fully read/digested/put into action 🫣🤣
28 Mar
10:59am, 28 Mar 2024
39,666 posts
  •  
Ness
I managed to get me a DEXA scan a few months after my mum had her osteoporosis diagnosis. I think that was in 2006 or 2007. My results were fine at the time. Not had a scan since.
28 Mar
11:03am, 28 Mar 2024
12,415 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
I’ve paid for my own DEXA scans and have actually improved my bone density in my perimenopausal early 50s - largely thanks to strength training, and a sit stand desk at work.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
... a weights wire for women.

And in case you're wondering about that title, well, I like alliteration and one can be too po-faced about the use of girl/lady/woman.

Here's a strength standards for women thing Duracel found for us
strengthlevel.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.