BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Fetch F1 Fans

23 watchers
19 Jul
6:59am, 19 Jul 2021
4407 posts
Pothunter
It was a cracking race. Racing incident for me. They both could have give a bit more space. Horner’s whining rather spoiled it.

Going for a move up the inside like that is just as likely to end the race for the attacker.

Lewis’s final stint showed what a good driver he really is.

Driver of the day vote is a complete joke. Verstappen in 2nd place? I feel sorry for him, but to crash on the first lap should take you out of the running for driver of the day…
19 Jul
8:12am, 19 Jul 2021
1209 posts
Akie
Cant really see too many complaints on what happened. Borderline racing incident or Lewis fault for going up the inside, he got a 10sec penalty which is more than enough and still won.
19 Jul
8:19am, 19 Jul 2021
15110 posts
larkim
Seems we're in agreement. Horner is a bit whingey, but I suppose it's just defending the team position; and clearly it was a bit hit for Max so good that he could walk away from it.

The tyre flying through the air was a bit of a worry though, that could have ended up in the crowd, but pretty hard to prevent that from happening when the whole tyre comes away from the rim.
19 Jul
8:27am, 19 Jul 2021
14781 posts
SarahWoo
Not that I'm cynical or anything, but maybe Horner's anger was stoked by the cost of getting the car back on the track, and the hole it's going to make in their budget, never mind the affect on the championship leader board.
Max's comments on social media were OTT too.
"Glad I’m ok. Very disappointed with being taken out like this. The penalty given does not help us and doesn’t do justice to the dangerous move Lewis made on track. Watching the celebrations while still in hospital is disrespectful and unsportsmanlike behavior but we move on"
19 Jul
8:31am, 19 Jul 2021
15111 posts
larkim
I'd give Horner the benefit of the doubt on the financial cost, I've never heard a team boss say in the recent aftermath of an accident that there's a budget hole needing filling. I'd bet Max has already contributed more in the prize pot this year than any budget would have expected.

But the words of Horner, and Max in that tweet, were OTT. If Max had been stretchered away, then it's fair enough to complain that celebrations shouldn't be too enthusiastic when someone is hospitalised, but Max walked away. Maybe he is injured in a way that we're not aware of just yet, but I've seen nothing to indicate that.

Disappointed that Merc had to issue this this morning - twitter.com

Good to see racism being called out though.
19 Jul
9:07am, 19 Jul 2021
74467 posts
Gobi
very disappointing Larks
19 Jul
9:11am, 19 Jul 2021
39233 posts
HappyG(rrr)
I still can't believe that there's anyone with a brain bigger than a pea in the UK or anywhere else in the world that think it's OK to be racist. There is no need to refer to race in anyway, no matter what your opinion, criticism or perceived slight. I just don't understand some human beings.

Great race, agree with consensus that it was a racing incident, albeit one caused by two very committed drivers, being incredibly aggressive (and I'd also say brave) to fight to the front. To be honest, it's 100% what I want in racing, as long as it doesn't result in injury. With the brilliant safety measures of the cars and circuits, drivers can walk away from 160mph crashes.

The championship battle is absolutely in the balance.

Some great results for Ferrari, McLaren, Alpine - Leclerc, Norris, Alonso benefited from great qualifying, the sprint format, and Sainz, Ricciardo, Stroll doing well in the race itself. Again, just what we want to see, I think.

Silverstone looked amazing, didn't it. So much want to go one day. One of my colleagues was there for the full 3 days. He's a huge fan and goes there every year. What a weekend he must have had! The noise - to be able to hear fans over the noise of the cars, wow! :-) G

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Thread for those who like their racing long, predictable but strangely addictive. And generally fossil fuelled.

Spoiler rules (polite pretty please!!)
No quali spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show
No race spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show