Politics

3 lurkers | 198 watchers
May 2019
7:53am, 23 May 2019
2,533 posts
  •  
Raemond
I've been able to vote without any issues every time in the last just over 8 years, and this is the first time Sam has had a problem. My friends in Amsterdam seem to be OK most of the time also.

My Colleagues say they've had nothing but problems, so I'd put it down to Belgian post being worse than Dutch, but it seems it goes a long way beyond that.
May 2019
7:56am, 23 May 2019
2,151 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Actually TMW yes I do (although I don't recieve that many unless they're directly addressed or thrust into my hand).

Don't see how you can debate with someone unless you know what they're thinking/saying.

Unfortunately the flyers we've had have been printed on shiny paper which Shel can't use to make those little pots for sowing seeds in. Usually they get shredded.
May 2019
8:25am, 23 May 2019
8,030 posts
  •  
simbil
This is a bit of a concern, turns out Parliamentary mechanisms might not come to the rescue to avoid a no deal Brexit instituteforgovernment.org.uk
May 2019
8:32am, 23 May 2019
31,493 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, that's what I said Simibil. If you get a proper Hard Brexit / No Deal PM to replace May, then *if* they want they can steamroller UK out of EU, and it's bliddy difficult to stop.

I don't understand what "No Opposition days" means. Does the government have to "allow" the Opposition to speak?! And there is no mention of Private Member's bills in there. What has to happen for those to be allowed?

But it's a great big scary thing, to my mind. May is highly like to be going before October. New Tory PM. Tories will not vote to end the Tory gov't. So that Tory leader *could* take us to No Deal exit. There might be lots of shouting and complaining, from their own side as well as from all other sides, but if they are megalomaniacal enough and believe in their "right and obligation to deliver Brexit" then it could happen.

That's when I'd approve of and take part non-peaceful protesting! :-) G
May 2019
8:38am, 23 May 2019
7,572 posts
  •  
larkim
It's a bit of a doomsday scenario I suppose. But would any Tory candidate really secure the backing of their electorate if they stood on a platform of no-deal? Without an explicit backing in those terms, they surely wouldn't be able to avoid losing sufficient of their own side in the event that no-deal became an imminent outcome and we'd be in no-confidence territory (in the PM / government, not in the Tory leader). Though the power of the Tory party to unite behind a new leader is strong.
May 2019
8:45am, 23 May 2019
31,494 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It doesn't matter if they have backing of the electorate. They don't need to go to the country. If it was compulsory to have a new GE if there was a change of leader then I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

They don't even have to have the backing of their own party, just enough to win the leadership contest. Then they only have to last 3 months to get No Deal through. Sure, after that they might be a lame duck and not win the next GE, but by then the damage is done.

I'd like to see an Opposition charismatic leader stand up and say, even if we leave in October, we'll reapply to join in November!
May 2019
8:58am, 23 May 2019
7,573 posts
  •  
larkim
When I said "their electorate" I meant the electorate within the Tory party. I still don't think that it is a given that an out and out no-deal leaver would be elected leader. What's more likely is that any candidate will say "I want to agree a deal, and I will do XYZ to get one, but if no deal is agreeable I will not oppose a no deal brexit"
May 2019
9:11am, 23 May 2019
31,495 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ah, you meant leadership contest - well I think the Tory party will vote for whoever they think they can get most backhanders from and keep them in power longest. And the front runners are mostly hard Brexiteers - Johnson, Raab, McVey, Mordaunt, Gove. And even Hunt, Leadsom, Hancock are hardly anti Brexit.

They'd all rather No Deal Brexit than No Brexit. May is looking positively moderate in comparison.
May 2019
9:20am, 23 May 2019
2,535 posts
  •  
Raemond
Hancock is/was the health Secretary, right?
Didn't he say that he couldn't guarantee that people wouldn't die as a result of a no deal exit screwing up medical supply chains?

Perhaps foolishly (he is a tory, after all), I took that to mean he was quite strongly against no deal.
jda
May 2019
9:25am, 23 May 2019
4,463 posts
  •  
jda
AIUI "opposition days" are days on which the opposition gets to introduce its own bills etc to vote on. There aren't very many of these. Normally the govt decides what is debated.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Current poll - When will the next election be ***

March 28 2024 - fetch
April 1 2024 - Paul Cook
April 4 2024 - Macca53
May 9 2024 - Bazoaxe
May 9 2024 - Johnny Blaze
June 20 2024 - Fields
Oct 17 2024 - jda
Oct 24 2024 - Chrisull
Nov 21 2024 - HappyG
Dec 5 2024 - LindsD
Dec 21 2024 - richmac
Jan 24, 2025 - J2R
Jan 28 2025 - Bob!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.