BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Dear Scottish Fetchies

63 watchers
11 May
10:12am, 11 May 2021
2638 posts
HappyTimes
"We" seem to often tinker round the edges and quite often not on the main issues.

How about tackling the cause of c. 50% of the plastics in the oceans problem and many other environmental issues by a mass review of the global fishing industry?

*No expert, my source has so far solely been watching seaspiracy*
11 May
2:34pm, 11 May 2021
2391 posts
JRitchie
O&G are moving into renewables (BP and Equinor, shell and Total are becoming big players in new offshore wind projects UK and internationally. Shell is the biggest owner of PV provision (I think, not 100% sure)). We need to see O&G as part of the solution and not part of the problem. They have very clever people who can help with the next Gen deeper water projects (more and more consistent wind) and they have the balance sheet to do this - money from traditional sources helping to fund the change. As a newer industry O&G are spending 90% of management time in the renewables sector as its the bit they don't yet fully understand. Orsted (Denmark) used to be the Danish National Oil and Gas company).

The O&G supply chain is harder. Some businesses (stuff that happens on vessels) can broaden the base quite easily, others (down well technology) the IP is more harder to apply into renewables. Big next step is getting more of the supply chain into Scotland. New wind farm projects there is a 25% threshold of local supply. That needs to increase and there are
11 May
2:41pm, 11 May 2021
2240 posts
IanS
Agreed JR - I have family, friends and customers in the O&G business, and they are all smart people who see the writing on the wall and are working to change direction.
However the general lack of support for UK suppliers in renewables in proper commercial scenarios is definitely holding back the industry. There are plenty pilot projects but very few commercial systems based on UK technology and until that changes at a policy level (and SNP - I'm looking at you here!) we will continue to be a consumer not a supplier
11 May
4:21pm, 11 May 2021
7192 posts
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Cynically (and veering far from the thread's main topic), I'll believe there has been a damascine conversion in the O&G industry when they stop funding climate denying political puppets and the "research" used to muddy the climate science waters.

Until that point the work they do might be useful, even outstanding, but it is still greenwashing.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
There's some charlatan with a Scottish name talking in London today, urging us down here to persuad...