The Environment Thread :-)

59 watchers
22 Mar
3:17pm, 22 Mar 2024
21,275 posts
  •  
Chrisull
If I'd been quoted 7k three years ago for everything I'd have bitten their hands off. Especially with an option of a grant. And remember I was being advised by experts, this wasn't just my opinion. CE Plus even wrote a 20 page report on my house and what could be done - energy saving etc for free. (Paid for by polluters apparently, the fines going into a pot that goes to certain groups).

And it's not happening in Cornwall. Sure it might be in the Midlands, London, up north, but I'm trying to help local people and they have to be told what it will actually cost them. (Much of Cornwall is among the top 10 most deprived parts of Western Europe) Insulating miner's cottages with 1-2 ft thick stone walls, yet little space inside, and radon at close to borderline levels? And everyone has black mould as a matter of course in Cornwall theguardian.com

There were no grants available at all, then the previous ones ended in October and weren't renewed by the Johnson govt til March.
3M
27 Mar
8:27am, 27 Mar 2024
23,692 posts
  •  
3M
A bit of good news. :)
energylivenews.com
7 Apr
11:10pm, 7 Apr 2024
27,685 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Interesting news on battery trains. GWR have started a twelve-month trial of a fast-charge battery train on the Greenford branch in London. Initial tests have proved very encouraging, but they want to see how it fares in real world year round usage. (Although apparently it won't be in revenue service: that is, you can't actually catch it, it will run along with the normal service.)

railway-news.com
pressreader.com (early test stage article, but with more info)

The technology is a special charging rail set up, between the tracks. The train pulls up, drops shoes onto the charging rail, and recharges. Until the contact is made, the charging rail is not live. Throughout service, the battery will run down partially, but not enough to jeopardise service. At night, the train returns to the depot, and is trickle charged back to 100%. The charging rail set can be lifted and placed by four people, and installed in a day.
8 Apr
8:28am, 8 Apr 2024
49,748 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's very interesting Dv, but why do they need batteries in a big city when they are all already electrified lines? I could understand batteries for rural lines where to electrify would cost a lot. Or is it just a trial? :-) G
8 Apr
8:30am, 8 Apr 2024
49,749 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just read the articles. Right, for branch lines. I assumed most of these were electrified in England already, but obv not. Good news then! What proportion of rail is still diesel then, anyone know? :-) G
8 Apr
9:46am, 8 Apr 2024
18,116 posts
  •  
Dave W
In the south. None whatsoever.

In the north. Most of it.

Levelling up at its finest. 😁
3M
8 Apr
11:22am, 8 Apr 2024
23,764 posts
  •  
3M
Only recently got rid of the horrible bus on a train bogey things up here, (Sprinter 150?) too!
Built in the 1980s by the lowest bidder. 😣
8 Apr
1:44pm, 8 Apr 2024
3,356 posts
  •  
Big_G
I know linking a flight to/from Japan doesn't look great on the environment thread! But the train system/network in Japan leaves the UK in the shade, after spending just 3.5 weeks in Japan recently. Extensive bullet train network (which was started back in 1964!) that are reliable as it's mainly tan on its own network so not held up by slower traffic, local trains running on time, stations/toilets/carriages incredibly clean (the carriages are literally mopped). I think I am right in saying that the pricing is fixed, so didn't appear to change even if a ticket was booked the day before. Made me wonder what Japanese tourists must think when they land in UK, and the fuss about HS2, when there is a whole highspeed network across Japan. They are also developing and testing an even faster network, over 500kph, that uses a magnetic system.

(everything ran on time for us but I have read that there are regular delays from what is termed a "body based delay"...., which isn't nice to think about).
8 Apr
6:19pm, 8 Apr 2024
27,686 posts
  •  
Dvorak
A company called Vivarail was developing the technology, but went bust. GWR bought that part out and hired the engineers. As well as their own use, considerable sales potential.

Not just for short branches, but consider, say, the West Highland Line. It's never going to be feasible to wire that up, and it's too far for conventional battery trains, even on optimistic future projections. Stick in a couple of intermediate fast charge points, though ... The necessary dwell times would be made back by improved acceleration of the electric train.
10 Apr
12:49pm, 10 Apr 2024
49,772 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
While I support battery usage to move away from burning fossil fuels, battery recycling needs to be done safely.

Big fire in battery recycling plant in Scotland

bbc.co.uk

Does anyone have any stats on the risks of battery build, use, storage and decommissioning vs. fossil fuel? :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi
I've seen environment (whether emissions, power, climate change, access to countryside, whatever you think of as "environment") discussed in various threads: Politics (obviously), the Electric Car thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/electric-car-anyone-61481/ , run free's excellent "Competitive Running and Keeping The Environment Clean" fetcheveryone.com/forum/running-competitively-keeping-our-environment-clean-60907/ my own Greta Thunberg thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/greta-thunberg---jfk-for-the-climate-generation-61044/ etc. but I haven't seen a general one.

So here it is. For those interested in the science, the politics, the action for (and I'll state that for me, this is mostly pro-environment, anti-emissions, anti-pollution etc.) and the hope for the future of our planet.

Useful links posted by contributors:
rf_fozzy: This is quite a good article about how disruptive technology works too: lesswrong.com
Basically about why Kodak completely missed the boat when it came to digital cameras timkastelle.org
run free's Grand Designs example Ben Laws is a man who built his dream: granddesignsmagazine.com granddesignsmagazine.com
Carbon Commentary carboncommentary.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.