Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Reducing single-use/disposable plastic

75 watchers
11 Oct
10:00am, 11 Oct 2021
22044 posts
  •  
Meglet
There are now recyling boxes available for oral hygiene products, but I've yet to see one for real, trying to persuade my practices to get them. There are also a growing number of recyclable products including bamboo brushes, but the bristles are a problem when it comes to recycling.
11 Oct
10:14am, 11 Oct 2021
5653 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Thanks Meglet :-)
11 Oct
10:51am, 11 Oct 2021
3395 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I don't have problems recycling the bristles from my bamboo toothbrushes; they all fall out in clumps and I swallow them!

There were some bamboo toothbrushes with "real" (ie pig) bristle, but lots of people seemed touchy about them, and there were complaints that they were smelly. They seem to have disappeared, but would be an obvious answer (at least for non-vegatarians, and those with no religious concerns).
11 Oct
12:46pm, 11 Oct 2021
22046 posts
  •  
Meglet
I’d be really wary about natural bristles, they’re more likely to be porous and encourage microbial growth (and if they’re going smelly this is why). Also bristles that don’t stay in the brush are a risk for swallowing and doing terrible damage to your intestines.

One case where ‘natural’ isn’t necessarily better. Same with toothpastes, any homemade remedy could be abrasive or damaging to teeth, gums etc, and you really do need the fluoride. There are some more natural toothpastes like Kingfisher that don’t include SLS.
11 Oct
1:14pm, 11 Oct 2021
2208 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Is all this bamboo stuff creating another mono-culture?

(Tying in to the conversation over on the Environment Thread)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
Information about Plastic Packaging:
UK: wrap.org.uk

EU: ec.europa.eu

What products have microbeads?
beatthemicrobead.org

To help you reduce try one level at a time:https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/support-the-challenges/

What the EU is doing:
europa.eu

- currently the UK will be following SOME of the EU measures.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

Terms used to describe plastic:
1. Biodegradable (also oxi-biodegradable)
2. Bioplastic
3. Compostable
4. Plastic that potentially could be recycled (has numbers)
5. Plastic that cannot be recycled

Some resources:
BBC's info on the numbers on Plastics:
news.bbc.co.uk

The misconceptions of biodegradable plastics from an academic:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.7b04051?src=recsys&

Understanding plastic terms:
wrap.org.uk

Bioplastic developments as seen by British Plastic

britishplastics.co.uk