30 watchers
Jef
15 Feb
10:27pm, 15 Feb 2024
13,104 posts
  •  
Jef
Will do HG.

As I don’t currently have a EV I think this is probably the best BUT certainly considering the possible benefits of one with the added V2H and V2G due to our considerable excess capacity from Match through to October
15 Feb
10:46pm, 15 Feb 2024
12,261 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
I’m on Octopus Flux - no EV. It’s costing me at the moment - I mainly charge the battery overnight, and for some reason the system still uses grid power in the daytime (mixed with drawing from battery), and then drain down the battery in the evening.

Looking forward to brighter days :-)
Jef
16 Feb
7:59pm, 16 Feb 2024
13,112 posts
  •  
Jef
cathrobinson What system do you have ? What apps do you use to control it?

I have a Tesla power wall and I’m struggling to tell it when you charge the battery and when to discharge etc. easy enough done manually but with the real cheap stuff between 2am and 5am I’d rather not be up at those times.
16 Feb
8:03pm, 16 Feb 2024
12,263 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
I’m on a Fox system using their app. It’s not perfect but at least I can schedule the overnight charging fairly easily.

Having to change it manually sounds a bit archaic…?
Jef
16 Feb
9:39pm, 16 Feb 2024
13,114 posts
  •  
Jef
It does … and knowing Tesla, I suspect it’s more likely I’m doing something wrong
17 Feb
7:53am, 17 Feb 2024
49,432 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm GivEnergy. App and Web let me see power use and set charge and discharge times. (In summer on Flux I force discharge 4pm to 7pm peak to earn max income. Can get over £100 a month income that way.) :-) G
17 Feb
2:18pm, 17 Feb 2024
2,686 posts
  •  
Snail
HappyG(rrr) - We are in the process of moving to solar and I was looking at doing something similar. Out of interest do you have settings so that the battery discharge leaves you enough for evening usage? And then top up during the cheap period overnight? Out of interest what battery size do you have as that is one of the variables I need to decide. Thanks
17 Feb
6:23pm, 17 Feb 2024
49,435 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes and no Snail. Yes can set discharge rate and duration therefore know if some spare. But sometimes not enough if my missus uses outside lights in spring autumn. Not a prob in summer.

We have 9.5kWh battery. We usually discharge at max rate, full 3 hrs of peak export. By coincidence, our max discharge rate is 2.5kW so 7.5kWh leaves us a wee bit for evening.

Generally I'd say go for biggest battery you can. We make all of our saving in winter through battery c. £100 a month? And most of saving / income in summer from battery. Solar is just a bonus! :-) G
17 Feb
8:34pm, 17 Feb 2024
2,687 posts
  •  
Snail
That's helpful. Thanks HappyG(rrr)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ThorntonRunner
Every so often talk about solar pv, batteries etc split across the environment, energy bills and electric car threads. Here's a dedicared home for such discussion :)