Electric car anyone?

71 watchers
16 Apr
8:40pm, 16 Apr 2024
22,854 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'll be happy with 7p once I get the wherewithal installed, but if I can get a free charge from somewhere I need to be anyway, it'll go some way to making up for the cost of public charging when I'm on longer journeys.
16 Apr
11:49pm, 16 Apr 2024
2,791 posts
  •  
HappyTimes
Anyone looked at Dacia Spring? Looks like possibly start of a more sensible offering. c.£15k, weighs c. 1tonne, range mixed use/climate around 100miles, top speed 78, reasonable(ISH) charge time 20% - 80%.
Has what most need really for most driving, nothing superfluous to actual needs. So no 0 - 60 in 2 or 3 seconds, no 200mph top speed, noy the size of a tank.
On first impression I would probably say it even looks reasonable (even better than some of the £50/£60k stuff)
17 Apr
7:17am, 17 Apr 2024
49,837 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
O wondered how long it would be before Dacia came out with a good EV offering. They are pretty innovative. Sounds like a good package. :-) G
17 Apr
10:51am, 17 Apr 2024
22,855 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Ooh. Charger point install on Monday!

What do I need to be aware of? Do I need to be home, or can my lovely but technophobic wife deal with everything? I presume the main question is siting the thing.

I'm getting an Ohme Home Pro. Does anyone have one of these? Is the app relatively simple to set up?
17 Apr
10:59am, 17 Apr 2024
7,424 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I've had an Ohme Home Pro for almost two years - has worked fine and yes it's pretty easy to setup and use.
17 Apr
11:06am, 17 Apr 2024
23,796 posts
  •  
larkim
The geek in me wishes I'd got a choice of home charger but we "got what we were given" as part of the package. Would like to have some smarter features that boxes like the Ohme one does, but in the grand scheme of things I don't really need it to; the car asks it to charge at 12:30am, it starts charging, the car tells it to stop charging at 4:30am, it duly complies!

Installation was a breeze apart from the installer being unhappy about how long a cable they had to run. I think filling in the various forms to get the govt grant that applied to it took more of my time.
17 Apr
11:13am, 17 Apr 2024
6,277 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I had mine in the garage. It turned out that I needed to upgrade the supply to the garage ahead of installation. What I also hadn’t thought of was that the charger would require to be connected to WiFi. It took me a bit of fiddling to get the WiFi to the garage but that’s sorted now. Without it there’s no software updates and without those it doesn’t work at all. Love tech….

That reminded me of a story I heard from my uncle. He’s still an active member of the Long Distance Walkers Association who have an ambition to install chargers at their huts. However, they also have an anti-tech policy that includes no WiFi. Snookered!
17 Apr
11:31am, 17 Apr 2024
23,797 posts
  •  
larkim
My old charger had a sim card in it. Got updated when it failed to wifi (which I prefer), but sim based ones are out there, though they may be a dying breed. 4/5g router at the hut for the win?
17 Apr
11:34am, 17 Apr 2024
6,279 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I believe it’s all about encouraging us all to be capable with a paper map and compass. Admirable but needs revisiting imho!

Good tip, I’ll pass it on. Thanks.
17 Apr
12:50pm, 17 Apr 2024
49,839 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
My installer messed up at least one connection which burnt out eventually, but gave us months of intermittent failure which was confusing. We also have over voltage on our supply which would trip the charger which was also confusing.

EO Home - app is a bit rubbish but it works. I would have got a cable and nice neat storage, with separate cable kept in car. At the mo I have to keep taking it in and out. Detecting our solar power in order to use that was an optional upgrade that I didn't know I needed (even though they knew I was getting solar).

There was also an option for Auto Load Monitoring (where it will reduce charging power if it detects the rest of house needs power) which wasn't fitted by default on ours and I'm having to upgrade to. Means you don't have to "deduct" the charger load from total house load - a safety feature, I suppose.

Good luck DG, hope all goes well. :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Nattering about EVs; are you thinking about owning one? Do you own one? Are you terrified of owning one?

A thread for those with range anxiety, eco friendliness and petrol heads alike!

Some current vehicles that Fetchies have:-
HappyG Hyundai Kona 64kWh 240-280 miles range
ev-database.uk
larkim MG4 SE LR 61.7kWh usable (64kWh advertised)
ev-database.org
larkim (Now sold) Peugeot e208 46kWh usable (50kWh advertised) 180-220 miles range
ev-database.uk
ThorntonRunner Pre-facelift MG5 (LR Exclusive). 61kWh, 57kWh usable
ev-database.org
Jenelopy BYD Atto 60.5kWh usable
ev-database.org
Runningbear21 Jaguar i-Pace 84.7kWh
ev-database.org

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.