Poles?

8 watchers
um
Jan 2020
3:22pm, 14 Jan 2020
1,607 posts
  •  
um
I've been advised by runners & walkers to go for folding vs telescopic. Less to go wrong & smaller/lighter for stashing in/on a rucksack.

I used hiking poles for some years, but have now reverted to poleless and find it a lot less hassle - firstly I take a lot of pictures & managing poles, cameras and lenses required a few more hands, and secondly, much of the walking I do now requires some clambering & hands.

So - Linds - I'd suggest your sister tries some (cheap and Leki/Black Diamond top end) on similar to expected terrain (are they suggested for general mobility/stamina or other reasons?) to determine how they are for her.
And maybe ping our resident Icelandic fetchie to enquire on local conditions?
Jan 2020
3:23pm, 14 Jan 2020
304 posts
  •  
ageingtractor
OEX X-Lite carbon shaft extendable poles got me to Annapaurna base camp and back a couple of years ago.

I found them to be lightweight, durable and reasonably priced.
Jan 2020
3:27pm, 14 Jan 2020
14,758 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Conversely, I bought a relatively cheap Alpkit adjustable/telescopic pair, for my youngest (about 6ft) to use our last trip to the lakes. Mum (5ft 3 and nearly 80) then used the same pair comfortably last time she walked with me.

I shall spend some time playing with these before deciding whether to splash out on an expensive folding pair. The few people with poles staggering around Stanstead with me did seem to cope with the mud very well and were much less daisy-like in the worst bits.
Jan 2020
3:30pm, 14 Jan 2020
42,919 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Another great thing about having poles in Iceland is you can use them to fight off angry polar bears. (Probably. I haven't tested that.)
Jan 2020
3:32pm, 14 Jan 2020
199 posts
  •  
Stander
Having poles in Iceland means you can drag forward that last bag of frozen peas at the back of the freezer that you would otherwise have to fall into (most likely) to be able to reach them.
Jan 2020
3:36pm, 14 Jan 2020
13,671 posts
  •  
Homer
:-)

The Alpkit ones are a great value option if you think you might not use them after this trip

Decathlon also do some cheaper options
Jan 2020
4:03pm, 14 Jan 2020
9,435 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Poles don't come from Iceland. They come from Poland.

*shakes head*
Jan 2020
4:10pm, 14 Jan 2020
361 posts
  •  
blindcider
Iceland is where mums gone
Jan 2020
5:07pm, 14 Jan 2020
14 posts
  •  
Liebling
I have Leki telescopic ones. On the plus side they are adjustable and really solid and have some inbuilt shock absorbing. However, they are not lightweight and it is possible to break the adjustment mechanism - I know, I've done it. Aside from my balance problems, I find having poles enormously helpful in slippery conditions and also on hills, to help pull you up and to take the pressure off the thighs and knees on the way down.
Jan 2020
5:18pm, 14 Jan 2020
13,672 posts
  •  
Homer
Hey Leibling

Brits are funny sometimes. Folks outside the UK use poles loads but us...well ... you know...just not cricket to use something that might help :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Hello all.

My sister is going on a hiking holiday in Iceland in the summer, and has been told to...