Can anyone help me choose walking jacket?

3 watchers
Oct 2022
12:59pm, 21 Oct 2022
2,387 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
My two current choices are: mountain-equipment.co.uk or rab.equipment

Mainly will be used for walking the dog on cold, dry days. Occasional longer walks and hikes also.

Is there a better brand between Rab and Mountain Equipment? Both jackets are the same price in my local shop.

Thanks!
Oct 2022
1:13pm, 21 Oct 2022
5,444 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I know you said it's for dry days, but sometimes it changes...........
The ME one seems to have a degree of water repellency on the outer fabric, whereas the Rab one doesn't mention anything similar.
If the fit and colour are suitable in both, then that would probably sway it for me. Other thing to check is the zip - is it decent, not too small and fiddly
Oct 2022
1:16pm, 21 Oct 2022
5,445 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Actually, ignore the above, I missed that the Rab one has DWR as well !
Oct 2022
1:23pm, 21 Oct 2022
2,369 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I have looked at both jackets and they seem very similar,
Check zips as they are the first thing to go on a jacket also the cuffs so you can fit gloves underneath.
Also covers your bottom make a difference in the cold and wet.

Looking at them both and if the fit is similar I would opt for Rab.
Oct 2022
1:25pm, 21 Oct 2022
38,345 posts
  •  
halfpint
Generally speaking I’d say there’s not much to choose between Rab and ME. Synthetic insulation is a good shout for Scottish dog walking - it will still be effective if it gets damp.
Oct 2022
1:26pm, 21 Oct 2022
25,410 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
My wife has had a Rab jacket for years now. The quality is excellent.
Oct 2022
3:29pm, 21 Oct 2022
2,388 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Thanks all!

Generally speaking I’d say there’s not much to choose between Rab and ME. Synthetic insulation is a good shout for Scottish dog walking - it will still be effective if it gets damp.

I thought Down would be better.
Oct 2022
9:44pm, 24 Oct 2022
14,167 posts
  •  
Homer
I'd argue that a down jacket is rarely good for longer walks unless it is damn cold. The Mythic Ultra is damn warm and you might sweat into it, removing the insulating properties of the down. I use down stuff for strolling to the pub or up in the snowy Alps.

Synthetic insulation is often better for the UK as it works when wet from the rain outside or sweat inside.

The ME one there is a great jacket and ME are a superb, quality UK brand.

Rab are also a top brand but maybe look for a synthetic?
Oct 2022
9:57pm, 24 Oct 2022
57,163 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I would only wear down if it’s very cold and dry. I’ve had a ME down jacket for 15 years + and some winters I’ve barely worn it. They are great mind for pulling on after a night run, say to go in the pub

Both Rab and ME are great brands, but I think rightly or wrongly that ME is a more ‘outdoor’ company. Rab, like TNF, has gone a bit ‘street’ for me

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunningRonnie
My two current choices are: mountain-equipment.co.uk or rab.equipment

Mainly will be used for walking the dog on cold, dry days. Occasional longer walks and hikes also.

Is there a better brand between Rab and Mountain Equipment? Both jackets are the same price in my local shop.

Thanks!