Poles?

8 watchers
Jan 2020
2:47pm, 14 Jan 2020
32,720 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hello all.

My sister is going on a hiking holiday in Iceland in the summer, and has been told to bring walking poles. I know that several of you use them - can someone recommend a brand and/or model?

Many thanks
Jan 2020
2:56pm, 14 Jan 2020
163 posts
  •  
gribb0
I use black diamond - think mine were about £50 so maybe the explorer version on the link

eu.blackdiamondequipment.com

I don't use them that often but they do help my dodgy knee on a steep descent. They can take a bit of getting used to if you don't normally use them.
Jan 2020
2:56pm, 14 Jan 2020
42,916 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Leki.

I will direct Liebling at this thread.
Jan 2020
2:59pm, 14 Jan 2020
539 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
I use Black diamond distance z for running. Know a lot of people who also use them. Depends if you want folding or not, adjustable or fixed length, etc etc
Jan 2020
3:01pm, 14 Jan 2020
30,721 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Watching this thread ...

I would also be interested in whether there is a difference between poles for walking and poles that you might use at a faster pace, eg in an ultra. I have an old pair of Brasher poles (telescopic) that I bought for mountain walking when they were going through some popularity about 15 years ago, but I suspect they are heavy and possibly that the telescopic mechanism might be prone to jamming/slipping if they were to be used in conditions that are more competitive than regular hiking. Sam's comment seems to suggest that folding may be better for running?
Jan 2020
3:01pm, 14 Jan 2020
13,669 posts
  •  
Homer
Oh how I love my poles

I choose poles that are lightweight as they spend a long time in my pack but need to be reliable when they come out. I have tested many over the years and now have 2 sets that I trust:

Fizan compact - for long trails where I need to adjust the length, they are very light and reliable. Lots of the Leki and other poles have fancy connections that go wrong, the Fizan compact can be repaired in the field so easily
ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk

Black diamond Distance Carbon Z - for running/fastpacking on the hills when weight is king, surprisingly strong and can be stuffed into a very small space in my pack when needed. You do need to buy the correct length though as they can't be adjusted
ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk
Jan 2020
3:02pm, 14 Jan 2020
13,670 posts
  •  
Homer
Synge, I've found that the poles I like for running are lighter and non-adjustable, m most hiking ones are a faff for running. Just my choice though

Snap with Sam :-)
Jan 2020
3:13pm, 14 Jan 2020
540 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
The thing with running poles is that they should be quick to deploy / pack away, which is where folding comes in useful. The trade is that they tend to have more flex or vibration.
Jan 2020
3:14pm, 14 Jan 2020
197 posts
  •  
Stander
I spent a fortune on some good ones that have sat around unused now for some years.

Can't recall the brand (until I get home), but really ought to think about chucking them on fleabag.
Jan 2020
3:14pm, 14 Jan 2020
4,671 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I use Leki lightweight foldupable ones for hill walking in Northumberland. My OH also used them in Nepal. Lightweight, spacesaving and easy to adjust.

Sounds like a lovely holiday!

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Hello all.

My sister is going on a hiking holiday in Iceland in the summer, and has been told to...