Osteitis Pubis - anyone had it?

7 watchers
Oct 2017
10:03am, 4 Oct 2017
1,721 posts
  •  
Fitz
I have this and it's a pain in the arse. I am not, have never been, and never will be pregnant!

Started about a year ago, as a general nagging pain in the pelvis/groin/hips at higher mileages, by NYE last year I was pulling up 5 miles into a marathon 😫

It has become more localised over time and now presents as a pain in the lower abdomen and glutes.

After much faffing with x-Ray, CT, MRI, ultrasound, blood tests and physical examinations, OP is the diagnosis.

Doc put me on two weeks of prescription anti-flimflammeries which were a miracle cure until about 10 mins after I stopped taking them. I have tried resting from running for a week, then a fortnight, then a month, but it's still there. I can just about do 5km, not quickly, and need at least 48 hours between runs to let the inflammation and pain subside.

Next step is either a corticosteroid injection somewhere quite tender or a bisphosphonate infusion usually used to treat osteoporosis.

One day I hope to be a runner again.
Oct 2017
10:45pm, 4 Oct 2017
472 posts
  •  
iaincr
I have been where you are two years ago. My consultant put me on a six week ibuprofen course (4 times a day). The anti inflammatory effect builds up and it is really important that you do not let the level drop. I had to stop running for 6 -7 months and I thought I would never run again, however the good news according to my consultant is that once you have had it the healing process is such that it is very unlikely it will occur again and 17 months on it is the case for me. Never think a bout it now. The hardest thing is notrunningwhen it is still sore as it can put you back months. Good luck.
Oct 2017
5:50pm, 6 Oct 2017
1,722 posts
  •  
Fitz
Thanks for the feedback iaincr. I don't want to be a habitual chugger of anti-inflammatories but that's an interesting take on cumulative effect, I'll discuss with the doc next time I'm in.

I'm hoping for a quicker solution than 17 months, especially as I just got a ballot place for THE marathon. So frustrating when I can walk for hours with no pain but running sets it off inside 10 minutes. 😩
Oct 2017
5:54pm, 6 Oct 2017
27,603 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes, I have Fitz. Hi by the way. I'll post more later. I got fixed in about 9 months and have since run my PBs, my best marathons and all my ultras. So there is life after OP. Recovery was mostly just physio, no surgery or anyting. Look at my blogs from 2010 if you're interested and I'll come back and try and say more later. Cheers, :-) G
Oct 2017
6:10pm, 6 Oct 2017
1,724 posts
  •  
Fitz
Thanks HG, I'll have read of your blog. It's good to hear there's running life after OP!
Oct 2017
9:47pm, 8 Oct 2017
473 posts
  •  
iaincr
Fitz,

I couldn't run for 7 months only. I have now been clear of any problems for 18 months, I was also told not to cycle as it aggravated the groin. Rowing was okay.

I couldn't walk without pain, so hopefully you are already ahead of me!

good luck
Oct 2017
11:03pm, 8 Oct 2017
1,726 posts
  •  
Fitz
Thanks again iaincr. I have been contemplating cycling as a way of keeping cardio fitness up and weight down while I wait to heal but will have to check with the doc now. Tugging away at a gym rowing machine doesn't fill me with excitement!
Oct 2017
12:32pm, 9 Oct 2017
27,618 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Fitz, you need to get to love the rower. Like Iain, I was told to avoid anything that put transverse loading across the pubic symphysis where the cartilage damage was. So even alternate kicking in the pool or breast stroke kick was contra indicated.

I rowed up to an hour and 10,000 metres. I got a sore bum (get a pad or wear padded shorts!) When I could get back, the elliptical was quite good. Lots of core and pelvic work, latterly. And adductor type strengthening (gripping a towel between legs), bridges, clam for glutes etc. But your physio will give you all that.

Did you find out the cause? I never did, but suspect just building up too much, too quickly after one of my races was it. Which is why, after my 21st mara/ultra at weekend, I will be resting for a good week or more before running again!

Best of luck and keep us posted Fitz. :-) G
Oct 2017
12:41pm, 10 Oct 2017
27,630 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh and strictly speaking it's a pain in the groin, not a pain the ar*e. ;-) Let us know how you get on. :-) G
Oct 2017
1:37pm, 12 Oct 2017
474 posts
  •  
iaincr
not juts a pain in the groin, I had pain in lower abdomen too (not uncommon apparently).

About This Thread

Maintained by M62 Santa
I have it so am after some advice (disinfecting the ice pack, how often to take vitamin I etc...).