Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Gilmores Groin

1 watcher
Jun 2012
4:36pm, 28 Jun 2012
179 posts
Springer
A fell running buddy, has developed Gilmores groin
He has struggled with it for some time and the advice from his GP is to rest for a year. Internet searches suggest he will need surgery. Do any medics out there know if 12 months rest is 'usual treatment' or whether he should be pushing for surgical intervention?

I know he's getting depressed about it and I find it hard to believe that 12 months rest is teh way forward.
Jun 2012
4:51pm, 28 Jun 2012
18732 posts
ogee
Both blokes I know who've had it had the surgery & then about 8months rest. Seems to be one of those ailments.

I'm no medic though, just going on folk I know.
Jun 2012
4:55pm, 28 Jun 2012
201 posts
Giggles
I think I could one of those blokes that Ogee is talking about. I too struggled with it for some time...symptons were a pain that came on gradually whilst running in the pubic bone area and in particular it would hurt when I sneezed or coughed or anything like that. Post a run I also found myself being much stiffer and in greater pain than I thought I should be.

I suffered through it for a while before going to a physio who spotted the symptons and sent me to the Gilmore's Groin clinic (which is here in London). Had the operation which was sucessful but then it was probably 12 months before I was able to race again...my problem is that I probably ran too soon after the op and did not focus on the rehab and it was only when I started doing lots of core work and stopped running that things started to improve. I then took things very slowly to make sure I got it right. Once I got that all sorted I definitely came back a stronger runner but I wished I had ignored the running and focused on the core earlier.

Some people manage to overcome it by stopping running and doing lots of core but it depends how severe it is...this would not have worked for me as it appears I had quite a severe case. Your mates best bet is to go and see someone if you can as this injury (as I experienced) can linger for a very long time and I am one for being proactive about this stuff!
Jun 2012
4:56pm, 28 Jun 2012
6498 posts
Son of a Pronator Man
A guy I know has had this for 3+ years. He's still not running. I think he had surgery but it didn't help

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by AD
A fell running buddy, has developed Gilmores groin
He has struggled with it for some time and the a...