Gilmores Groin

1 watcher
Jun 2012
4:36pm, 28 Jun 2012
179 posts
  •  
Springer
A fell running buddy, has developed Gilmores groin
He has struggled with it for some time and the advice from his GP is to rest for a year. Internet searches suggest he will need surgery. Do any medics out there know if 12 months rest is 'usual treatment' or whether he should be pushing for surgical intervention?

I know he's getting depressed about it and I find it hard to believe that 12 months rest is teh way forward.
Jun 2012
4:51pm, 28 Jun 2012
18,732 posts
  •  
ogee
Both blokes I know who've had it had the surgery & then about 8months rest. Seems to be one of those ailments.

I'm no medic though, just going on folk I know.
Jun 2012
4:55pm, 28 Jun 2012
201 posts
  •  
Giggles
I think I could one of those blokes that Ogee is talking about. I too struggled with it for some time...symptons were a pain that came on gradually whilst running in the pubic bone area and in particular it would hurt when I sneezed or coughed or anything like that. Post a run I also found myself being much stiffer and in greater pain than I thought I should be.

I suffered through it for a while before going to a physio who spotted the symptons and sent me to the Gilmore's Groin clinic (which is here in London). Had the operation which was sucessful but then it was probably 12 months before I was able to race again...my problem is that I probably ran too soon after the op and did not focus on the rehab and it was only when I started doing lots of core work and stopped running that things started to improve. I then took things very slowly to make sure I got it right. Once I got that all sorted I definitely came back a stronger runner but I wished I had ignored the running and focused on the core earlier.

Some people manage to overcome it by stopping running and doing lots of core but it depends how severe it is...this would not have worked for me as it appears I had quite a severe case. Your mates best bet is to go and see someone if you can as this injury (as I experienced) can linger for a very long time and I am one for being proactive about this stuff!
Jun 2012
4:56pm, 28 Jun 2012
6,498 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
A guy I know has had this for 3+ years. He's still not running. I think he had surgery but it didn't help
Jan 2022
3:15pm, 7 Jan 2022
1,481 posts
  •  
Tizer
Been a while since anyone has had this it seems. I'm on week 11 of no running and currently getting physio treatment for this. I seem to be able to do most other things without pain. Cycling, swimming (with a pull bouy), squats etc but lunges, hip flexor stretches and running are not possible at the moment. I'm trying to stick to the core exercises (glute bridges, dead bugs, sit ups etc) Dull ache with some of these but not the pain I get when I run.

The pain seems to come from my lower abdomen, round about my belt line although the physio treatment I get is down at the groin (inguinal ligament)

Be interesting to here if anyone else is going through this or whether no-one has had this since 2012 :-)
Jan 2022
3:19pm, 7 Jan 2022
40,801 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was told when I had Osteitis Pubis that it could be Gilmore's Groin, aka sportsman's hernia. If so, it was fairly standard hernia surgery, albeit in a tricky place. The diagnosis sounded very painful!

Good luck to your pal. :-) G
Jan 2022
3:22pm, 7 Jan 2022
40,802 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry Tizer, I misread that. Didn't realise you were reviving a 10 year old thread!

Is it definitely diagnosed by NHS hossie as Gilmore's Groin? If so, I thought it was the old "webbing patch" that you get same as abdominal hernia. Then all right as rain? Fingers crossed for you. (Happy New Year, by the way!) :-) G
Jan 2022
3:23pm, 7 Jan 2022
1,482 posts
  •  
Tizer
Similar symptoms then? Dull ache in the abdomen. The physio seems to think its improving and doesn't think surgery is required but although he's fixed loads of my other injuries, this one has taken that bit longer and I did consider getting a second opinion on it...or even an MRI to confirm either way
Jan 2022
3:29pm, 7 Jan 2022
40,804 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I wouldn't trust just a physio's diagnosis. I would def go to GP, get a referral for a scan, and let the NHS docs recommend the appropriate therapy. No disrespect to any physios out there, but there answer is always a bit of rest, some glute strengthening exercises and then a gentle return to running. And pay me £50 a week to tell you this. Call me cynical! (Joking apart, there are some fab physios out there and some of the best are the ones who have told me "I can't treat you, you need to see a doc.")

Obviously, totally depends on the severity of your damage.

Mine was Osteitis Pubis - dull aches, sometimes quite sharp, acute pain, and if pressed upon, really eyewatering pain! Rehab from that took me a *very* long time!

I'd recommend getting scans and a proper diagnosis. Just my tuppence worth. Best of luck mate. :-) G
Jan 2022
3:31pm, 7 Jan 2022
40,805 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
My pain was groin, hip flexor when running, internal dull ache after exercise and as I say, a sharp pain when pressed upon. Quite similar symptoms.

By the way, I won't tell you what I was told the diagnosis was for Gilmore's Groin! If your physio has done this check and it is confirmed then you would *definitely* know about it!! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by AD
A fell running buddy, has developed Gilmores groin
He has struggled with it for some time and the a...