Off road shoe question

4 watchers
um
Jun 2020
6:39pm, 18 Jun 2020
2,711 posts
  •  
um
I've had pairs of Wave Ibuki and Kazan and been happy with them.

(one pair black, one pair green if that's any better ;-) )
Jun 2020
6:41pm, 18 Jun 2020
31,504 posts
  •  
halfpint
Oooh I'm looking at the Ibuki 2 in the green colour.
Jun 2020
4:17pm, 19 Jun 2020
5 posts
  •  
Snoot
I have Inov8 X-Talon 200's for the real muddy stuff as they are wider than the Mudclaws, there's a width guide on the Inov8 website. Also have Altra Lone Peak for trails which have been great, look a bit weird at first as they have a really wide toe box! Pete Bland have some good deals on at the moment on shoes. Also a thing where they'll send you advice if you follow the guide on their Facebook page
scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net
Jun 2020
4:20pm, 19 Jun 2020
70,337 posts
  •  
Gobi
Speedcross by salomon are my shoes of choice, like DT I avoid waterproof ones
Jun 2020
4:22pm, 19 Jun 2020
10,351 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I used to like speedcross. Until I got properly *off-road*

Then I found their limitations v quickly.

The studs I found were also v flimsy.

And the shoe is quite narrow.
Jun 2020
4:29pm, 19 Jun 2020
8,220 posts
  •  
GordonG
I like this site as a good place for shoe reviews.

runrepeat.com

I like the way they present the data easily (i.e. even someone like me can understand it!)
Jun 2020
9:06pm, 20 Jun 2020
16,696 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I like waterproof for dog walking on wet grass in the morning :)

I have a pair of roclite 280 waterproof that I can both run in and walk all day in - I wouldn't want to walk the dog for very far in anything with a more aggressive sole than that
Jun 2020
9:27pm, 20 Jun 2020
31,530 posts
  •  
halfpint
Thanks everyone. I ordered 3 pairs to try. A couple of mizuno pairs and some roclite ones. Hopefully one of them will be ok.
Jun 2020
3:35pm, 24 Jun 2020
35,310 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'd say most important thing is the "how off road" question that fozzy asked. If it's mostly dryish, flattish, trail type stuff then any road or road/trail hybrid will be fine. As Fleecy says, a trail version of your preferred road shoe.

But if it's "proper" off road - muddy, wet and significant incline (e.g. steeper than 1 in 10) then "proper" fell running (in Scotland called hill running!) shoes required. Inov-8, Walshes, Salomon. I have the very cheap (20 quid?) More Miles Cheviot Pace and they are OK too, but still not very durable, not very comfortable and not as grippy as Inov-8 etc.

My Inov-8 fave is X-Talon 212. Very narrow, very tight, very grippy, very assured runner. Not everyone's cup of tea. Good luck. And most importantly, enjoy! :-) G
Jun 2020
3:58pm, 24 Jun 2020
31,569 posts
  •  
halfpint
I’ve received my order. The inov8 ones aren’t a great fit but both mizuno pairs are a good. Not a surprise given my road ones are mizuno. I’m not looking for anything hardcore atm so they will do fine. I can graduate to something else once shops are open again.

About This Thread

Maintained by halfpint
I couldn’t find a recent thread on this so...

I have resumed running in lockdown after a looong...