London marathon 2022 date change.

5 watchers
Aug 2021
8:59pm, 17 Aug 2021
12,213 posts
  •  
Sombrero
It's been announced today that the 2022 London marathon has been moved from April to October.

skysports.com

It seems that the 2021 edition is still planned for this October.

All seems a bit odd. My girlfriend is meant to be doing it next April. She's not received an email or anything, she just found out in a Facebook group.
Aug 2021
9:50am, 18 Aug 2021
16,969 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I thought it was off too (although not remotely affected!) - I read the announcement and wasn't really sure I followed the reasoning!!
Aug 2021
9:59am, 18 Aug 2021
6,894 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Brighton is still planning for April 2022. I wonder if they will follow suit.
Aug 2021
10:00am, 18 Aug 2021
27,229 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
makes you wonder if they expect a winter lockdown
Aug 2021
11:22am, 18 Aug 2021
104 posts
  •  
Marchog
There's a lot of moaning going on on bookface about the lack of communication for the change of date.

I'm one of the one's who chose April 2022 instead of October this year as I don't like training in the summer heat - it'll be a case of grin and bear it.

What's really annoying is that I have a Travelodge voucher for my cancelled hotel from April 2020 that has to be booked by the end of October this year which is before the date they will release rooms for the new date. I'm going to have to take my wife away on an extra trip somewhere so I don't lose it, and fork out for a new hotel for the new date.
Aug 2021
11:56pm, 18 Aug 2021
12,217 posts
  •  
Sombrero
Marchdog, GF chose April for the same reasons as you. Rather annoying.

She hasn't received an email, just found out on social media. All a bit pants.
Aug 2021
8:10am, 19 Aug 2021
15,263 posts
  •  
larkim
Them changing the date mirrors my nervousness about booking a European skiing holiday next spring. Given that every time we've seen the light at the end of the tunnel something has got in the way, it makes sense at this stage to be planning for the winter to throw up a curve ball in some way.

Having said that, I was hoping I'd be able to sneak into London 2022 off a club place as my final mara of my 40s, but that's out of the window now.
Aug 2021
10:33pm, 24 Aug 2021
1,043 posts
  •  
The great dollop
theyre' gunning a 12 month planning window and pushing 2023 out to the usual 18 months for April.
They (as organisers) will be exhausted if they had tried to do april 2022 - literally logistically imposible.
Many smaller race organisers are finding that the social infrastructure and indeed business infrastructure that supported races has simply dissolved over the past 18 months - building things back up is taking it's toll.

One race I know rescheduled for September from March - and they're just having a nightmare because all their committee and volunteers have a summer of family commitments in august - instead of planning for delivering a race the next month in september. Their March regular slot all fell into place with people spending february volunteering and organising - because what else is there to do in Feb ?!. The race organisers are literally desperate because nobody is contactable or "getting stuck in" as usual - simply because it's the wrong time of year for their normal behaviour and planning calendar.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sombrero
It's been announced today that the 2022 London marathon has been moved from April to October.