World Marathon Majors - a 6 star quest

25 watchers
jda
10 Nov
5:01pm, 10 Nov 2022
13,766 posts
  •  
jda
Yes I lived in Japan and started running there, but was a bit casual about it. So I didn't really follow the running scene, but there was a big ekiden around the new year that was hard to miss as it was on TV screens everywhere for a couple of days. I think it's university teams.

(ekiden is a long-distance multi-stage relay, based on historical post-horse message-carrying on major routes)

I think you're right that Fukuoka is back on again. I did one marathon in Japan, at Tsukuba, which is a science city outside Tokyo. That seems to be on this weekend, if anyone is in the area :-)
17 Nov
3:53pm, 17 Nov 2022
22,238 posts
  •  
DeeGee

Berlin have sent out some ballot results by mistake. You can safely ignore them - the ballot is still open until the end of the day.

Likewise, Chicago closes today as well...
20 Nov
11:04am, 20 Nov 2022
2,161 posts
  •  
Big_G
For those on here that have done Tokyo, or maybe know someone who has done Tokyo, how do people generally get in? Is it generally via a tour company?

I did see the recent news that Abbott are adding an extra mechanism for a Tokyo place for those who have 5 stars, but I am a way off that at the moment. I am currently involved in a virtual race for a Tokyo 2024 place, but the odds are low!
1 Dec
12:05pm, 1 Dec 2022
22,263 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've just been having a look at the charity programme for Tokyo.

https://www.runwithheart.jp/news/list/19/20/?tag=

If I've understood correctly, some charities will award places on a first-come first served basis for a minmum donation of 100,000 Yen, which by my reckoning is about £600.

This year those programmes opened applications on July 11.

Unlike in the UK for golden bond places, you don't have time to raise the funds before the event. There's a 3 week application window after which, if you're selected, you have to pony up the cash straight away.
1 Dec
5:15pm, 1 Dec 2022
2,168 posts
  •  
Big_G
DeeGee, a friend of mine did that for his 2023 place.
1 Dec
8:59pm, 1 Dec 2022
22,266 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'll definitely keep an eye on that for 2024, then.

Really didn't fancy 2023 with the restrictions still in place.
9:34am
9:34am, 2 Dec 2022
22,268 posts
  •  
DeeGee
So Berlin ballot results are out. Anybody in?
12:48pm
12:48pm, 2 Dec 2022
102 posts
  •  
ptr_rnr
I got a rejection, which is odd because I didn't think i'd entered the ballot having done the race this year. *shrug*
4:18pm
4:18pm, 2 Dec 2022
2,169 posts
  •  
Big_G
ptr, Berlin did mess up in the last week or so, sending rejection emails to people who hadn’t entered. I’m not sure if it was everyone, but I know of 2 people who ran it previously, didn’t enter the ballot this time, but got a rejection email a week or so ago. Berlin did post on their social media apologising about that though.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
All things relating to any or all of the 6 World Marathon Majors.
Upcoming:

Tokyo: 05 Mar 2023, ballot closed
Boston: 17 April 2023, general entries closed (all qualifying times were accepted!)
London: 23 April 2023, ballot results are now out.
Berlin: 24 September 2023. Ballot results are now out.
Chicago: 08 Oct 2023. Ballot results 08/12/22. chicagomarathon.com
New York City: 05 November 2023. Ballot 08-22 Feb 2023. Ballot Results 01 Mar 2023. nyrr.org

worldmarathonmajors.com

****** - JenLove, KeithL, Becca7
**** - Mrs Jigs, Jigs
*** - Trin, DeeGee
** - jabberknit, Rog T, Ian5, Maccathecracker, Big_G
* -