Hanson’s Marathon method

5 watchers
Apr 2020
7:34pm, 10 Apr 2020
9 posts
  •  
Selkan
Hi- has anyone ever tried Hanson training method for marathon running. More runs per week but less LSR mileage at weekends.
Apr 2020
8:45am, 13 Apr 2020
46,050 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I read the book last year and thought the principles were appealing, though the total amount of running was unrealistic for me at the time.
Apr 2020
9:03am, 13 Apr 2020
3,488 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Not read the book nor tried the plan myself, but a quick search shows a couple of other threads on the subject which you may find useful :-)

fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=52455

fetcheveryone.com/forum/hanson-running-programme-sadly-nothing-to-do-with-mmm-bop-48013/1
Apr 2020
8:09pm, 13 Apr 2020
10 posts
  •  
Selkan
Thanks for your comments- k5 Gus thanks for links. I’m going to give this plan a go this year for Edinburgh Marathon in September. I’ve used several plans in past so wanted to try something a bit different.
Nov 2020
12:52pm, 18 Nov 2020
4,044 posts
  •  
Kieren
Did you use it Selkan?

I bought the book and liked the similarity to the parts of Jack Daniel's that my previous 2 training blocks were.

I'm on day 3 of the advanced plan - a rest day. The rest of the days are all 10K at easy pace. Speed work & tempo days are introduced next week.
Nov 2020
6:39pm, 27 Nov 2020
98 posts
  •  
MovingAlong
I've followed it for my last few marathons. Was just outside a pb (4.04 rather than 3.56) in 2019, and that was without religiously doing the 'race pace' run (due to family life disrupting plans) , and some stomach issues that cost me some time. I also didn't set out for a marathon pb, but legs just felt good and I went with it. It was also 3 weeks after Snowdonia marathon.

Fairly confident I would have pb'd this year, was following it much more closely, but with various race cancellations I peaked ahead of time, and then couldn't quite re-find my form for a re-scheduled date.

Works generally quite well for me - I can train every day, but can't easily find 3 hours for a long run, so peaking with 5 runs at 15-16 miles fits my personal life.

Have previously done p&d and if time wasn't a factor, I'd follow that. Planning to do ultras next year, but if/when I return to marathons, be hard for me to look past hmm.
Nov 2020
9:46pm, 27 Nov 2020
4,062 posts
  •  
Kieren
That's interesting MovingAlong - thanks for the feedback.

Would you adapt HMM for your ultra? From what I can see, some parts seem similar t o some ultra plans, like double long run days to build the fatigue without too much overload.

I'm just finished week 2, slightly adapted. 1st week, I was coming off a week break so ran 5 days easy / 10K and one 5K at 90%

I ran my 12 x 400 at 5K pace in a short, slightly faster session of 8x400 about 10s faster a lap because I had to squeeze it in on a lunch break. I'm also running a weekly 5K handicap with friends so using the tempo day for that & alternating the 10K tempo with a 5k race week to week.

I don't really want to do a marathon but I might change my mind in 18 weeks. I just enjoy the training for now and would like to try a half-marathon
Nov 2020
3:30pm, 28 Nov 2020
99 posts
  •  
MovingAlong
I think it'd probably work quite well for ultras*, but I did an ultra on the back of it, and think I suffered for not doing enough 'longer' runs (plus, and ultimately, think I was a little lazy in following the plan!).

Its a good plan in my mind. Personally I struggle mentally with gearing myself up for the 'race pace' run, especially when 8 miles +, but feel great if/when I do it.

* I'm not an ultra expert - have 'survived' one, made every mistake you could imagine! Have re-entered it to make amends but might be scuppered by a combination of injury /covid.
Dec 2020
12:00pm, 9 Dec 2020
4,066 posts
  •  
Kieren
Im 3 - 4 weeks in so far (mistakenly followed week 2's schedule twice) which has repeats at 12 x 400m at slightly slower than 5K pace.

This week the repeats increased to 8 x 600 at slightly slower than 5K pace.

I'm not sure I have the pacing correct for this and on Jack Daniel's these types of efforts would be a little faster than 5K pace. As I am still trying to reduce my 5K time, I have done the sessions faster and so far been OK.

Pace should be 4:03/KM for me but I was able to complete the last session at about 3:45/KM. (ideally I would have liked to be 3:50-3:55 but can't quite get the pacing right).

I think it is possible I have the sums wrong for pacing on Hanson's guide?
Feb 2021
12:08am, 1 Feb 2021
4,115 posts
  •  
Kieren
End of January and just finished week 11.

Thats 215 miles and the training load was feeling OK - although today I picked up an ache on my ITB neat the knee. I'll see how it is tomorrow after a hot bath and some sleep.

5K time has come down to 19:34 putting me at 70% WAVA. I think when the 81 weeks finish I will go back to Jack Daniels to try a 5K plan at 60 mpw or his Gold Plan also at about 60 mpw. The hanson book recommends not getting stuck on marathon training and to mix up with speed.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Selkan
Hi- has anyone ever tried Hanson training method for marathon running. More runs per week but less L...