Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Hillscore...what is it?

4 watchers
May 2017
6:55pm, 10 May 2017
1768 posts
Fragile Do Not Bend
Probably a bug 😅
Sep 2019
12:06pm, 12 Sep 2019
15099 posts
Gooner
Did we ever actually figure this out? 🤔
24 Apr
9:52am, 24 Apr 2020
15191 posts
Gooner
Fetch... anybody...?
21 May
3:52pm, 21 May 2020
5 posts
Joophy
I was wandering the same thing and came across this thread, so resurrecting in search of an answer.

As a test I created a short route that just goes straight up a steep hill and back down again and got:

2.3km 33m ascent 33m decent with hillscore of 2783, which is very high for a short route.
21 May
4:04pm, 21 May 2020
1730 posts
CumbriAndy
I've a very vague recollection from a very long time ago that it was an attempt to indicate how hilly a route is overall based on some complicated relationship between elevation gain and distance travelled. I can't remember what the parameters were but I think a short route with a big hill would score higher than a longer route with the same hill.

The only person with a clue how it's actually computed will be Fetch
21 May
4:14pm, 21 May 2020
34870 posts
HappyG(rrr)
I thought distance travelled came into it too. So lots of ascent over shorter distance (i.e. steeper, not just more uphill) was a higher score. But that's just a vague recollection.

The other issue might be Garmin (other GPS / altimeters are available!) logging incorrect ascent / descent and then it being corrected (using elevation correction, which I think uses the heights as known on a map based on your GPS traces, not the elevation ascent descent measured by the device)?
28 May
12:36pm, 28 May 2020
5 posts
CrispByNature
I was just wondering exactly what hillscore means - I'm glad I read through all of this thread to find out!

I quite like the mystery of it though..

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gooner
Just a quick one (hopefully), the hillscore on a route, what exactly does it relate to?

Now I kno...