Ascent

3 watchers
Sep 2014
8:55am, 29 Sep 2014
10,599 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
i don't know it this has been raised before, but if I look at the spectacles view of my training runs, Fetch knows how much I've climbed and descended during my run. But the training log doesn't show it, and neither does the "weekly run ascent" chart.

Apart from copying the figures by hand from one part of Fetch to another, is there something I have to do, or is it a genuine fault/feature?
Sep 2014
9:18am, 29 Sep 2014
4,792 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I have just had a look at my graph - I don't always use my Garmin to log a run - if it's a set route and a recovery run I tend to wear a stopwatch, and those runs don't log the ascent, but I so have some figures on the weekly ascent graph. In the training log when I first looked, one Garmin run had blanks for the ascent with a little info sign - clicking this told me to look at the run in detail and Fetch would calculate the ascent - which it did, so when I clicked back the figures were there. Not sure how helpful this may be to you of course, but it looks as if it may be an intermittent thing??
Sep 2014
9:50am, 29 Sep 2014
10,601 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
That seems to be partly correct: if I do use the spectacles view, the ascent is added to the "weekly run ascent", but it's not added to my training log, and I don't have your "little info sign" afaict. Perhaps it only appears when you're actually adding a run, not proposing to edit it.

Either way, I'd like Fetch to do all the work for me.
Sep 2014
10:00am, 29 Sep 2014
1,002 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Chris - things changed a few months ago when Fetch re-designed the training log.

When you initially load an activity into Fetch, then it does NOT work out the ascent/descent ( and ignores any figures from your watch as they are very unreliable ). So at this point nothing in the training log ( with Terrain chosen ) and nothing in weekly run ascent chart. As Autumnleaves says you should get a red exclamation mark in the training log ( Terrain ) to show it has not yet been calculated.

If you do a "Glasses view" ( or click the exclamation mark which is doing the same thing ) then at this point Fetch will go and work out the ascent based on all your GPS points that make up the activity. Takes 5 or 10 seconds, then you should see the Ascent field filled in on the Glasses View under the graph, and if you go back to the log it should show there, and be incorporated into the weekly graph.

I must admit I don't quite understand why the ascent is not worked out as part of the upload process, and why we have to do a view of the activity. I'm sure Fetch can answer that one.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
i don't know it this has been raised before, but if I look at the spectacles view of my training ru...