GPS Watch for beginners?

3 watchers
Mar 2015
1:44pm, 10 Mar 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
LucyJDowning
I've started running regularly since January - but only joined Fetch last week (this site is AMAZING).

I've been using Run Keeper on my iPhone since Jan which has been great for tracking my progress, but managed to smash the screen during a 10mile run on Saturday. So I think its probably time I invest in a watch.

Can anyone recommend a decent watch for a beginner? Is there anything I should be looking for in terms of functionality? I'm really not sure where to start...

Thanks!
Mar 2015
2:01pm, 10 Mar 2015
15,790 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Hiya - welcome to FE :-) And thank you for saying nice things about the site!

The Garmin 10 is the bare bones basic watch - you can get one for about £80:

amazon.co.uk
Mar 2015
2:32pm, 10 Mar 2015
11,101 posts
  •  
mulbs
welcome to Fetch :-) and well done on keeping up with your new year's resolution.
It is a great site isn't it?
I'm luck enough to have a TomTom GPS watch, can't speak for the Garmin but the TomTom is idiot-proof and I absolutely love it.
Mar 2015
3:34pm, 10 Mar 2015
2 posts
  •  
LucyJDowning
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll check both options! £80 or so on a watch is cheaper than constantly repairing an iPhone screen. I'm quite clumsy, I probably should have bought something sooner.
Mar 2015
4:37pm, 10 Mar 2015
24,284 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Welcome to Fetch Lucy. Make sure if you buy through Amazon to use the link posted above when you buy - he gets 0.001p or something and it helps to keep him in tea and biscuits. Oh and to power the website. I think.

You can also get used or refurbished Garmins off eBay (I hate spending lots of money!) and because they're fairly bombproof, they usually work fine. :-) G
Mar 2015
4:49pm, 10 Mar 2015
48 posts
  •  
Mazlin
Do you have a phone holder arm thing? I've got one I bought for about £10 that I didn't have many expectations of, but actually it's pretty good.
Mar 2015
5:56pm, 10 Mar 2015
20,002 posts
  •  
Lady Fleecy of Mudshire
Don't get a Nike, they break even quicker than phone screens :) Welcome to fetch, you can't go wrong with a Garmin I reckon. Plus if you're running 10 miles (wow) then your phone battery is going to be in danger of dying if you're logging your runs with an app.
Mar 2015
6:02pm, 10 Mar 2015
20,003 posts
  •  
Lady Fleecy of Mudshire
Oh, and if you're planning to do intervals at any stage in the future (or even thinking about doing intervals) then I don't think the very basic Garmin does those. I have a 210 and it's great, not too difficult to use but doesn't have any unnecessary functionality, I think it's about £120 ish or so without a heart rate thingy. If you have no intention of ever doing intervals then just get the Garmin 10.
Mar 2015
6:06pm, 10 Mar 2015
6,291 posts
  •  
Ness
I have a Garmin Forerunner 110 with Heart Rate Monitor. It's about £120 from Amazon. I like it and find it does all I need for my training.
Mar 2015
6:20pm, 10 Mar 2015
83 posts
  •  
RedAlex76
I have the Garmin Forerunner 10 as mentioned above this is my first GPS watch and I think it's been a good introduction to these types of devices!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've started running regularly since January - but only joined Fetch last week (this site is AMAZIN...