Flat-ish trail races

12 watchers
May 2013
12:44pm, 11 May 2013
2,096 posts
  •  
ndellar
I did a great one from Ely to Cambridge on Easter Sunday, flat and along public footpaths that run alongside the river banks. Fendland scenery so not woods and hedges type stuff but very nice all the same.

overrunevents.co.uk
May 2013
12:50pm, 11 May 2013
6,870 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
Since you said you'd consider any distance from home ;-) - in Scotland, we have the lovely Devilla Forest 5k and 15k in February: entrycentral.com There's also a new "Tri Trail" series around Edinburgh: thetricentre.com
May 2013
6:43pm, 11 May 2013
5,479 posts
  •  
flip
'Trail Running *is* getting a bit willy-
waving about "unbelievable"
distances and terrain. It's a shame,
because it could be more inclusive,'

oh dear god ,how bitter (and wrong ) - it's only Willy waving if you've an axe to grind . I'd rather celebrate that trail running has never been so popular and inclusive across all distances up to ultra . half the fields seem to be women and every age group seems represented . how wonderful is that ! trail magazines who know this are only giving their readers what they want .
May 2013
8:44pm, 11 May 2013
7,897 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Flip, I think Frobester is responding to my original post about the magazine Trail Running rather than the concept or community of trail runners. I, for one, am starting to feel excluded by the magazine because I'm not an ultra runner.

Dunno if I'd call it willy waving but I find the magazine is of less interest to me now because it's almost entirely about ultras and mountain marathons. The events pages for instance mainly feature 3 types of event:
- 145 mile long things

- mountain climbs
- hellrunner type stuff

I don't think that's the only type of race out there, hence this thread.
May 2013
9:13pm, 11 May 2013
870 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Since you said you may fancy making a weekend of it somewhere nice - I never tire of recommending the Lakeland Trails events lakelandtrails.org

They are all very pretty - there's a 10k option at all of them - if you fancy the longer option but don't want to be competitive about it, then there's the option of starting an hour earlier in a distinct and separate event. In terms of flatness, there's a noticeable climb in all the longer events but the Coniston 10k is basically out and back through the woods along the lake shore.
May 2013
9:36pm, 11 May 2013
6,906 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Crieff 10K Sunday 7th of July. Not 100% trail and has (one) stonker of a hill, but it's quite popular amongst people who like That Sort Of Thing. Even I might be tempted back. Lovely part of the country and Strathearn Harriers are a good bunch.

There is also the Gartmorn 6 (past for this year) - again not 100% trail and ... well, you could stay in Stirling instead (which has some great off road running around it).
May 2013
9:37pm, 11 May 2013
10,467 posts
  •  
northernslowcoach
Ilkley trail race on bank holiday Monday
Think you've done it before?
Not flat but good fun and very inclusive
May 2013
9:53pm, 11 May 2013
7,899 posts
  •  
McGoohan
NSC - I loved the Ilkley race. Met swittle there. Didn't meet RichMac there but was overtaken by him.
May 2013
9:56pm, 11 May 2013
3,177 posts
  •  
Duchess
Oh Spicey why did you have to tell me about Tri-Trail....?
May 2013
9:57pm, 11 May 2013
2,099 posts
  •  
ndellar
Wyre forest half not totally flat but gorgeous scenery, past 2 years have had flapjacks at the end.

amazingfeet.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by McGoohan
I'm a subscriber to Trail Running but it's going a bit OTT with all the Ultra stuff and Run Ben Ne...