Fed up arsing about with safety pins when attaching your race number?

10 watchers
Feb 2012
5:50pm, 21 Feb 2012
8,826 posts
  •  
Argie
CStar - I think your moment on Dragons Den is calling but before you do. Make sure you invest your life saving in it.
Feb 2012
5:59pm, 21 Feb 2012
607 posts
  •  
CStar
LOL. I used to work for James Caan many moons ago.
Feb 2012
7:40pm, 21 Feb 2012
7,734 posts
  •  
surreystrider™
I don't think I've ever started a thread that has gone beyond two pages, so I feel like I've actually achieved something today!

To answer several questions regarding whether or not they work, they certainly do. I got mine at Berlin Expo in 2010 and still use them. If you are a bit OCD like me about your number being straight on your shirt then these make it easy to adjust. They grip together real well and the only chance of losing one is if you, or someone else catches your race number fairly hard with their hand. This could happen with pins as well, and you'd still have three left anyway.
Feb 2012
8:07pm, 21 Feb 2012
609 posts
  •  
loki
fozzy - I wasn't wearing a jacket, although when it started sleeting while we were waiting for the start I wished I was. I did have two tops on, I'm not remotely competitive enough to be uncomfortable for some marginal advantage, nor fit enough to run a tough 10k hard enough to be confident of it keeping me warm. plus it was on the side of a very muddy hill and despite my best efforts I was going slower than some of my training runs. I'm with argie on the wonky numbers - I usually end up having to redo three of the pins and sticking at least one into my thumbs. there's nothing safe about them, they're bloody sharp. there has to be a better way.
Feb 2012
8:10pm, 21 Feb 2012
2,885 posts
  •  
southcoastpete
A friend once asked why we have to wear a number at all in races.

He suggested we just say a secret word to a marshall........
Feb 2012
8:14pm, 21 Feb 2012
610 posts
  •  
loki
pete - I reckon if you can remember and say a secret word at the end you're probably not trying hard enough. ;-)
Mar 2022
9:57pm, 21 Mar 2022
786 posts
  •  
Neil_E_There
Just the 10 years late to the conversation :)

Am I right in thinking it was this kind of thing discussed eventclip.net ? (the links in the thread are broke).

Thinking of getting some to see if any good.

Maybe we could get some customised Fetch ones? :)
Mar 2022
7:58am, 23 Mar 2022
247 posts
  •  
nme2no1
Neil_E_There, I've been using eventclips for most of my short running career. I find they do a good job if the race number has those little holes in the corners.
I use a hole punch on the ones that don't.
I didn't like stabbing holes through the material of my club shirt, so opted for the eventclips as a less destructive alternative.
They leave little dimples in the shirt when removed, but these soon dissipate.

I am also assuming it was something like this that the original link referred to.
Mar 2022
7:07pm, 23 Mar 2022
798 posts
  •  
Neil_E_There
Thanks nme2no1 good to know.

Now just to decide whether to go for the defaults or some custom ones. :)
Mar 2022
10:14pm, 23 Mar 2022
119 posts
  •  
Mr. Grumpy
+1 for the eventclips, but as Neil says, you need to punch holes in your bib if it hasn’t got them in already.
They don’t leave any lasting marks on your vest, unlike safety pins.
And if you’ve got OCD about your number being level, they’re really easy to adjust.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by surreystrider™
Try these

https://www.fixpoints.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=22&lang=...