Carrying a phone

4 watchers
Apr 2016
8:28am, 8 Apr 2016
17,162 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I usually run with a phone. I use it to take a few photos, sometimes to carry music (although I have a separate "clip" MP3 player for that), but always on my long run because it's one way point-to-point and I have occasionally overcooked it and had to get the wife to pick me up.

Also some events insist on having one.

General rule in our household, as I use my phone more than my wife uses hers, is I buy a new phone and we cascade my old one to her.

Now the wife needs a new phone, but won't buy one herself, so I'm looking at getting myself a new one. However, over the years smartphones have got longer, so where, for instance, an iPhone 4 would fit in the rear pocket of most running shorts, an iPhone6 won't. Likewise, I can just about squeeze my Xperia into my shorts, but I'm unlikely to find a new phone which is as short.

So rather than having to scout out a whole new bunch of running shorts, what I'm wondering is what the rest of you use? I'm not utterly convinced by armbands, especially if I want to leave my phone accessible but be in a position to remove or replace a jacket as the mood takes me. Are Flipbelts any good? Is there a better, or cheaper, alternative?
Apr 2016
8:32am, 8 Apr 2016
722 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I have a flipbelt and would recommend it. I have to stop and look at the map on my phone a lot at the moment, as I've moved to a new area. It's really easy to access the phone and it feels secure.
Apr 2016
8:36am, 8 Apr 2016
2,889 posts
  •  
Red Ant
I second the flipbelt. My iphone 6s fits a treat in it. It doesn't move around at all and there is no risk to anything falling out. I also really like the key clip which is tucked up inside the flipbelt.

However the reason why I have my lovely flipbelt is because Minardi gave it to me, because it didn't suit her.

But if you've run with bumbags at all you will love the flipbelt (it's sooooo much better than a bumbag).
Apr 2016
8:58am, 8 Apr 2016
22,773 posts
  •  
McGoohan
My butler carries mine and runs at a discreet distance behind
Apr 2016
9:01am, 8 Apr 2016
17,163 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Unfortunately my butler is currently carrying a hounds-related injury.
Apr 2016
9:24am, 8 Apr 2016
60 posts
  •  
skookie
I use a spibelt, my phone fits it ok and easy to take in and out if I want to take pics etc also has the elasticated loops if carrying gels.
Apr 2016
9:26am, 8 Apr 2016
25,464 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Bumbag for long runs, nothing for short ones, but then I don't bother with my phone on short runs. Only on long hilly runs would I bother with phone (safety and photos). Doesn't apply on a 5 mile plod round the streets or park for me.

My bumbag is an Inov8 Race Pro 4 and it's bril - I get gloves, hat, buff, longs, top, foil blanket, map, compass, whistle, tissues, money, food, keys, 1L water (bladder), and plenty room for any size of phone you like in it! And it's stable and comfortable. :-) G
Apr 2016
9:53am, 8 Apr 2016
1,011 posts
  •  
Weean
I wear a cycling top (you can see it in my avatar), which has big pockets for phones, gels, even a shell jacket if I wanted. But then I came to running after I'd all but given up cycling but still had all the kit
Apr 2016
9:55am, 8 Apr 2016
17,146 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Surprise your wife by buying her a nice new phone.
Apr 2016
9:56am, 8 Apr 2016
2,894 posts
  •  
Red Ant
Oooh I like that suggestion Fetch :)

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I usually run with a phone. I use it to take a few photos, sometimes to carry music (although I have...