Bob Graham Round

128 watchers
Aug 2010
9:17am, 19 Aug 2010
13,973 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
is no-one interested in an anti-clockwise round?
Aug 2010
9:47am, 19 Aug 2010
12,307 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
You and Dave A could do your rounds simultaneously and meet in the middle ... or time them so that you could give one another a bit of help on Broad Stand :)

Though from what SarahL said in her blog, maybe Lord's Rake would be a reasonable alternative next year.
Aug 2010
10:31am, 19 Aug 2010
48,000 posts
  •  
Hanneke
If I were to do a round, I'd go anti-clockwise... :D

Are you still potentially up for a so called 'double solo' eL Bee, witness each others summits?
Aug 2010
10:42am, 19 Aug 2010
13,975 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Hann - my preference is for that kind of lightweight effort, yes
Aug 2010
10:59am, 19 Aug 2010
954 posts
  •  
Ex-pat Scot
Looking at Sarah's video & pics, Lord's Rake looks pretty straightforward.
I did it many years ago and can't remember any difficult bits.

The BGR site has links to mountain rescue and pics of Broad Stand and how to navigate. Again doesn't look diffcult (although it doesn't show the 30 foot exposed drop!).

From all the race accounts I've read and heard throughout the years, it seems that Broad Stand is permanently roped for the BGR "season". Pretty much every account says something along the lines of "when we got to Broad Stand, we found it was already roped up and a doddle".

I like el-Bee's "mutual certification" double solo attempt idea, although it might make better sense to do it as a triple in case one struggles?
Aug 2010
12:10pm, 19 Aug 2010
48,004 posts
  •  
Hanneke
The only dangerous thing about Lord's Rake, as far as I am aware, is that huge stone that 'could' fall on top of you! How many years has it been there now?

As for Broad Stand, a doddle when it is dry, a bit harder when the rain comes gushing off it... Nowt wrong woth the Foxes Tarn route either, quite quick, as you just keep going rather than faff about staring at Broad Stand... I would be downclimbing Broad Stand on my anti-clockwise round, so would most likely decide to go around it.
Aug 2010
12:36pm, 19 Aug 2010
98 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Ex-PatScot - assuming Broad Stand will be roped by someone else is a very high risk strategy! It isn't permanently roped and any rope 'litter' left behind tends to get rapidly removed for both safety and asthetic reasons. You may get lucky and find another party there who are willing to assist you and equally you may not and how frustrating would that be! Even on busy BGR days different start times / schedules mean it is possible to completely miss the other parties out there. Every BG group should make definite arrangements of its own (that may be to share the placing of a rope with other parties doing a round on the same day).

As for how easy/difficult Broad Stand is. That depends hugely on how wet it is. For instance on an ACW round Hann don't under estimate how slippy it gets on slabs above the normally roped section when its wet. Also don't forget that on a CW round you've got well over 12 hours in your legs already (over 8 going ACW). From personal experience and much observation over the years by that sort of time (going either way) your legs may be functioning fine in a straight line but their flexibility is somewhat decreased and a general woodeness starts to creep in!

Whether or not you use BS is very much a personal choice. Timewise (assuming you don't get in a traffic jam and its relatively dry) then its probably ten minutes at the most, compared to a well executed Foxes Tarn or Lord's Rake variation. Personally I went Foxes and across the Climber's Traverse on an ACW and would always advise anyone not trying for a very fast round to forget about BS. Its basically not worth the hassle and potentially finding that conditions mean you have to go a different way anyway.
Aug 2010
12:39pm, 19 Aug 2010
48,008 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I am completely with you there FF :) as I said, on a ACW round, I almost certainly would decide to go round it, especially when wet!!! Not worth the hassle and faff!
Aug 2010
12:43pm, 19 Aug 2010
100 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Yes, sorry Hann misread your last sentence the first time!
Aug 2010
3:11pm, 19 Aug 2010
2,655 posts
  •  
flip
Winter B G R anyone ?. (note . This is a joke . I am not doing it ) . My year is the following year -one week after whw .

About This Thread

Maintained by Dave A