Berlin Marathon 2018

11 watchers
Sep 2018
8:35am, 18 Sep 2018
3,403 posts
  •  
KimCanRun
How did folk get on?

The wheels fell off for me around 15 mile mark. Overheated. Feet were on fire. So felt like death march to the finish. I thought it was very congested and could have done with an early water stop at the start. Cups were a pain too!
Sep 2018
9:25am, 18 Sep 2018
25,511 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Sorry to hear that, KCR. This was my fourth time in Berlin and I really enjoyed it. I was in Block F on the 09:25 second wave start. I did seem to clip/be clipped by lots of feet (probably 12 to 15 times), so I recognise your comment about congestion, but generally I find Berlin very spacious because of all the wide streets and Allees. I think it was mainly where runners bunch for the corners that it was a problem. I was also being a bit selfish about holding my line and staying close to the racing line (which worked well - I managed to cover only 26.41 miles in total, quite low for a big city marathon).

As for the conditions, it seemed as if it was going to heat up early and there were a couple of stretches where I could feel the heat of the sun, but then it clouded over and the temperature wasn't such a problem.

Cups - I think you just have to get used to them, as I'm sure they're going to replace bottles in most events. I tend to squeeze one side to make a kind of pointy spout and can usually get three good mouthfuls out of a single cup without slowing down.

As for the run itself, it went really well with a small negative split - 1:55:06 and 1:54:11 - for my first sub-four for a couple of years.

Better luck with the next one!
Sep 2018
10:24am, 18 Sep 2018
33 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
I found it a bit too warm for my liking but obviously it wasn't as bad as London this year - at least there was shade in places in Berlin plus an earlier start, which helped. I faded about 35k when it became clear I couldn't step up the pace to get a PB, so dropped back and finished in 2:51:40 - not what I wanted.
Sep 2018
10:47am, 18 Sep 2018
757 posts
  •  
Jaffa Cake
I had a similar race to KCR, fairly comfortable until 15 miles and then it really became a struggle, but I ground it out so happy that I won that mental battle for a change. Congestion was an issue as I expected but this could have been alleviated if walkers had moved across to one side or the other. I had hoped to go quicker than I did, but it was as much about being in Berlin for me, my favourite city and taking in the atmosphere.
Sep 2018
5:19pm, 22 Sep 2018
2 posts
  •  
WiLL
I had an enjoyable race. I seem not to have suffered from the heat that some experienced. I choose not to regret that I decided to stop racing at 14 miles and just jog it in from there. Nor will I dwell or linger on what may have been.

I've assembled my thoughts into a blog post: recoverydiscovery.blog
Sep 2018
2:59pm, 23 Sep 2018
866 posts
  •  
bonners
Thought some might be interested in this, Russell Bentley's blog from Berlin. Does a lot of North Wales races a d all round Nice guy.

Be warned, don't be eating whilst reading:

russellrunner.com
Oct 2018
3:18pm, 17 Oct 2018
56 posts
  •  
mattglen_
Is there a thread for next year's race yet? Anyone thinking of entering?
Oct 2018
5:07pm, 17 Oct 2018
25,840 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Yes and yes!
fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=60579
Oct 2018
10:54pm, 17 Oct 2018
5,488 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I'm in for 2019 on my deferred entry.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Tim of Fife