Berlin Marathon 2019

9 watchers
Nov 2018
7:03am, 30 Nov 2018
26,437 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪
I received an email last night telling me I have missed out on the ballot for 2019.

Much as I am tempted to apply for a charity place, I think I might wait and have another go in 2020.
Nov 2018
7:46am, 30 Nov 2018
5,485 posts
  •  
Fat Slow Hawk
Im in :-)
Sep 2019
9:47am, 17 Sep 2019
29,146 posts
  •  
♪♫ Egnys ♪♫
Not long to go and this thread seems very quiet.

Here are my updated Top Five travel tips for anyone visiting Berlin for the first time. (I'm assuming you don't need tips on getting to the Expo or running the race!)

1. Download the BVG FahrInfo travel app. This is an excellent real-time travel app which enables you to plan how you will get anywhere by the integrated bus, tube (U-Bahn) and suburban rail (S-Bahn) network.

2. Forget your parkrun stats for a week and do the breakfast run on the Saturday morning. This is an easy-paced 4-mile run which finishes with an awesome lap of the track in the Olympic Stadium. No registration needed, just turn up. And there's a free breakfast afterwards. It's very popular with international runners who have arrived in the city ahead of the weekend.

3. Do a boat trip on the River Spree. This is a great way to orientate yourself and see many of the sights. There are several companies running these and several embarkation points.

4. Don't miss spectating at the inline skating marathon on the Saturday. This is run on almost exactly the same course as the marathon. (The leaders cover the course in about *one hour*!) It starts at 15:30 and a good place to see it is on the road outside the Swiss Embassy (Schweizerische Botschaft) near the Bundeskanzleramt. Leaders will come through by around 15:45. If you've not seen this before, you'll find it fascinating.

5. Go to a Union Berlin football match. Union is the old East Berlin "peoples' club" which won promotion to the top flight of the Bundesliga at the end of last season. They have a home game against Eintracht Frankfurt on the Friday night. The atmosphere is amazing: proper standing on the terraces, loads of songs and chanting and there's a section where the "ultras" (hardcore fans with their band and banners) stand.

And best of luck with the run too!
Sep 2019
10:32am, 17 Sep 2019
18,843 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Thanks for the info about Union Berlin.

I went to a game the Saturday night before Tallinn a few years ago and very much enjoyed it. I might give Union a go.

I'm in two minds about the breakfast run, though, as I was very tempted to go down to Hasenheide on the Saturday monring.

I echo what you wrote about the inline skating, though. That was great to watch.
Sep 2019
10:55am, 17 Sep 2019
29,148 posts
  •  
♪♫ Egnys ♪♫
Having suggested this, I suspect that getting tickets at short notice this season may not be so easy. I've seen them three times on marathon weekend and it was always while they were in the 2. Bundesliga.
Sep 2019
11:00am, 17 Sep 2019
18,845 posts
  •  
DeeGee
So, I just thought I'd have a little look, and I can't get into the ticket buying website because of the amount of traffic!

22,000 places in the 1. Bundesliga brings back memories of Watford in 2006, and tickets weren't always easily available on the day then. Eintracht's going to be one of the more appealing fixtures, isn't it?
Sep 2019
11:09am, 17 Sep 2019
18,846 posts
  •  
DeeGee
And then the social architecture geek in me has a look at the Breakfast run, realises that it will finish not far from the Corbusierhaus, has a look at the cost to visit the show-apartment, and sees it's €40.

If I get my brutalist fix, I'll get it from the outside.

There's so much I need to see next weekend, I'm not going to fit it into four days. I might have to bin my long run to fit it all in ;-)
Sep 2019
12:14pm, 18 Sep 2019
18,848 posts
  •  
DeeGee
No tickets available for Union v Eintracht! Well, it was worth a pop.

Will it be on the telly-box?
Sep 2019
9:49am, 30 Sep 2019
29,220 posts
  •  
♪♫ Egnys ♪♫
Hope everyone who ran this yesterday had a good race. Any feedback/reports?

Remember that the ballot for 2020 opens tomorrow and runs for the whole of October. Nearly time for a new forum thread ...
Oct 2019
11:38am, 1 Oct 2019
29,230 posts
  •  
♪♫ Egnys ♪♫
Registration for 2020 opened this morning. Here's the new thread ... fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=61052

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ♪♫ Synge ♪♫
The 2019 ballot opened today. It closes on 7 November.

Results will be notified from 29 November ...