Berlin marathon

2 watchers
May 2014
12:48pm, 31 May 2014
303 posts
  •  
becky f
Does anyone who has ever ran the berlin marathon know if drinks during the race are in cups or bottles?
May 2014
2:05pm, 31 May 2014
8,989 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Cups when I did it and the drinks stations were mental busy. In fact, I've only had bottles in one mara - Brussels many years ago.
May 2014
5:42pm, 31 May 2014
304 posts
  •  
becky f
Did you manage to drink out of the cups ok? I can't whilst running. I'm thinking it best to run with a bottle belt can you or anyone recommend any good ones that don't bounce too much?
Jun 2014
3:17pm, 3 Jun 2014
467 posts
  •  
AmGettingFitter (AGF)
It was cups last year.

I estimate you love about 4-5 secs per water station by walking and drinking. If there are 10 stops then thats less than a minute. If you carry water all the way then that is heavy and you will probably lose more than a minute by the extra weight of carrying it.

Hope that helps
Jun 2014
4:23pm, 3 Jun 2014
15,857 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Do they do the little sponge with slits as a lid like in Holland?

They didn't in Frankfurt, so I'm guessing no.
Jun 2014
8:23am, 5 Jun 2014
305 posts
  •  
becky f
Thanks for the help I've decided to risk drinking from the cups to save me carrying heavy drinks. I also need some advice on energy gels I've never used them my other 2 marathons I used shot blocks but found these didn't help and I hit the wall both times. I know I need to practice gels during my training runs to see which agree with me but on the packet it says 3 gels per hour so a 4 hour marathon is about 12 gels which seems an awful lot?
Jun 2014
8:34am, 5 Jun 2014
850 posts
  •  
Fitz
I find the best way with plastic cups is to squeeze the top so one end is a bit like a spout, easier then to drink on the move but still nowhere near as efficient as bottles.

On gels, definitely practise with them in training in case they disagreee with you. I use PowerBar gels and generally go for one after the first hour, then every half-hour. That's six over the course of a 4-hour marathon
Jun 2014
8:39am, 5 Jun 2014
32 posts
  •  
Laura L
Hi Becky, I've only ran one marathon (Brighton in April of this year) but in my humble opinion one gel per hour or every 45mins should be sufficient. Especially if you are running with an energy drink as well. I think I used about four gels during my marathon and I had an energy drink with me as well. I didn't hit the wall. I think some people find gels a bit harsh on their stomach. I did struggle a bit to eat the fourth one because they get so sickly after a while but other than that i had no real issues with them.

I was interested to read what you said about the shot blocks as I was considering giving them a go (I'm training for Berlin as well). I won't bother now. Thanks!
Jun 2014
8:46am, 5 Jun 2014
469 posts
  •  
AmGettingFitter (AGF)
Another option on fuelling is that at most the water stations they have bananas and apples. I did not try the apples but a bite of a banana at most stations certainly helped. Also helps with electrolytes. IMHO Shot blocks are fine. As are Gels - but that are not the only answer to avoid the wall. Lots of LSR required too to help with that.

At the water stations they did have a sponge area last year too - so yes.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Does anyone who has ever ran the berlin marathon know if drinks during the race are in cups or bottl...