Berlin Marathon 2020

4 watchers
Apr 2020
11:04am, 7 Apr 2020
31,932 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Well, London is now rescheduled for 4 October, so there is evidently some hope among event organisers that Europe will be open for business by the Autumn. But I really don't think anyone really has much of an idea at this stage.

I decided in the end not to apply for a charity place for 2020, so I am not taking part. I'm really just trying to keep a base level of training ticking over now. I have places in a couple of UK marathons that I hope will take place in the Autumn, but I'm not close enough to them to be thinking about specific training programmes.
Apr 2020
11:16am, 7 Apr 2020
199 posts
  •  
Fordyboy
I think you’re right. Still a lot of uncertainty surrounding the whole situation.

As it stands, I have three autumn marathons on the cards due to Covid (Manchester, Edinburgh and Berlin) so I would likely have to chose at least one to drop anyway.

Like you I’m just ticking over but trying to keep some structure to it. Fortunately it’s pretty easy to avoid people if you head out reasonably early round here.
Apr 2020
5:26pm, 7 Apr 2020
110 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
It’s really hard to know at this point. Germany seems to have done a relatively decent job so far on handling the crisis but the marathon is a huge event with thousands of foreign visitors. I am keeping the training ticking over and, unless it looks really bleak, will start my Berlin training as normal 12 weeks out and hope for the best.

I also have Manchester pencilled in but will probably only do one of those - if we even have a choice.
Apr 2020
9:41am, 8 Apr 2020
200 posts
  •  
Fordyboy
Yeah, I’m just hoping that one of my three goes ahead... 🤞

Jet2 must know something we don’t - apparently they’re resuming flights on June 17th!
Apr 2020
3:42pm, 21 Apr 2020
111 posts
  •  
jomo_richmond
It looks like the German Senate has just banned all public events of over 5,000 until 24 October, so that would appear to rule out Berlin Marathon from happening. Not a huge surprise - feels like it is just the start of a steady stream of cancellations of autumn races.

sueddeutsche.de
Apr 2020
4:12pm, 21 Apr 2020
32,476 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Thanks, jomo.
Nov 2020
11:54am, 19 Nov 2020
37,448 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Thread for 2021 now started: fetcheveryone.com/forum/berlin-marathon-2021-61694/

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ♪♫ Synge ♪♫
For discussion of the 2020 Berlin Marathon. The event was sadly cancelled on account of the coronavirus pandemic.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.