Backyard Ultras

38 watchers
May 2021
6:40pm, 18 May 2021
1,902 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Has anyone ever done one of these? Looks like fun šŸ˜

There may be a chat already, but couldnā€™t find one.

backyardultra.com
May 2021
6:55pm, 18 May 2021
6,359 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I read about this one in Six Minute Mile a few weeks ago. It sounds easy but after well over 24 hours of completing 4+ miles, resting, eating and getting back on the start line every hour, it must really destroy you.
May 2021
7:05pm, 18 May 2021
1,903 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
I can imagine it does. I believe people start hallucinating after a while. The runners who retire assist those who are still running I believe. Reminding them to rest, eat and when itā€™s time to go again. Crazy but would love to do it. Iā€™m getting on a bit now though so wouldnā€™t get very far šŸ˜‚
May 2021
7:16pm, 18 May 2021
98 posts
  •  
Jase
Have you thought of doing a 1x1x24 or 4x4x48, that would give you a little taste without breaking yourself too much......?
May 2021
7:26pm, 18 May 2021
1,904 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Thatā€™s a good idea Jase. Iā€™ve done several 100km but nothing beyond that.
May 2021
7:32pm, 18 May 2021
2,629 posts
  •  
Oranj
Coming from a background of multi-day audaxes, something about the relentless nature of these events appeals to me. I'm pretty sleep-resistant when I'm racing for +45 hours so that would be a plus. There's one in Hampshire which I posted on the Ultra thread a while back runontrails.co.uk although I think one day I might test myself with a few local laps, see how it goes.
May 2021
7:53pm, 18 May 2021
1,607 posts
  •  
Gromit
I recently did my own shorter version, 3.1 mile loops setting off from my front garden in the hour every hour. It was interesting concept and I would defo do it again (had to stop at 93 miles with bad tendentious which was suspected stress fracture) but I know for the organised events using the 4+ mile loops every hour I wouldnā€™t be quick enough to eat /drink between laps so I doubt Iā€™d ever enter an organised one.
May 2021
8:09pm, 18 May 2021
926 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
I've done one, Another one bites the dust in Belgium. I stopped after 28 laps (100 miles) as that was what myself and a few others needed to complete the Legends grand slam that year, so we all finished to celebrate together.

At the time, I hated it, but that had more to do with the heat I think, 37Ā°c in the shade and prob over 40 on the tarmac sections for the hottest parts of the day.
It's in some ways a very easy format if you can keep to around 45-50 minutes per lap. That way you have plenty of time to stop, grab a drink, something to eat etc. As soon as you get to the stage of having to run nonstop as you only just make it round in time then it's game over.

I did it in 2019, in 2020 it was part of the big dogs virtual world championship and was the country to go for the longest. Unf due to covid restrictions I couldn't take part.
May 2021
8:16pm, 18 May 2021
927 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Oh and last year in Belgium Karel Sabbe did 75 laps!
May 2021
10:01pm, 18 May 2021
1,905 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Wish I was 20 years younger then Iā€™d seriously consider doing one. Definitely wouldnā€™t be the last one standing but it really appeals to me. However, I may aim for doing my own mini version and see how I get on.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pinkliverbird
Has anyone ever done one of these? Looks like fun šŸ˜

There may be a chat already, but couldnā€™...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.