A Head Thread

19 watchers
Sep 2021
7:28pm, 21 Sep 2021
79,683 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I used to use running as a meditation...
Now I use walking.
Sep 2021
7:29pm, 21 Sep 2021
79,684 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I have never been able to listen to music. When I run, I run.
When I walk I walk.
Sep 2021
10:31pm, 21 Sep 2021
2,442 posts
  •  
Canute
I think music does have a special relationship to exercise. As one might expect, studies reveal that increase in musical tempo is associated with increased speed and cadence, while decreases in tempo have a negative influence. A rhythmic structure that places emphasis on alternating beats tends to be more effective for increasing walking speed. Also as one might expect, the emotion enhancing effects of music influence performance. But as also be expected, these effects of music are minimal or absent among serious athletes performing at high intensity. The summary of relevant studies and references to some of the primary research can be found in the review by Van Dyck and Leman biblio.ugent.be

I personally think it is very unlikely that I will ever be tempted to use headphones when running. I find that incorporating awareness of my breathing rhythm into awareness of the integrated action of my arms, torso and legs when running provides adequate modulation of my effort level. During outdoor running I also find the natural world provides both inspiration and a calming influence. On the other hand, blocking out the sounds of environmental hazards is dangerous.

However as mentioned above, I think the emotional arousal provided by road-side bands during major marathon adds to the excitement and exhilaration of such events.

But for the most part, I think that music and movement are best integrated in dance, not running.
Sep 2021
11:18pm, 21 Sep 2021
4,226 posts
  •  
Kieren
I walloped my head in 2017 around the left side of the prefrontal cortex, I could notice a reward or runners high after hard runs, like vo2max intervals. It would last about as long as the effort - so not very long.

As for headphones, I like to listen to audiobooks on easy runs but more as a habit stack than a distraction. It might be a distraction form traffic and ambient noise living running a city thinking on it. We often give little thought to how much effort it takes to filter out noise to focus on select things.
Sep 2021
6:30am, 22 Sep 2021
28,043 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I listen to audio books but I am also aware that you can’t use headphones at races so do train without too
I use bone conduction headphones so can still hear the world
Oct 2021
5:10pm, 27 Oct 2021
18,622 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Gone quiet on here recently, I've restarted the "why buddhism is right" book and it's more engaging now, I'm onto sections about emptiness. I looked up a bit more about "emptiness", and found Oliver Burkemann has some interesting thoughts in his Guardian column from a few years back:

theguardian.com

(especially agoal of meditation wasto stop yourself being reincarnated, reincarnation being a bad thing!)
Oct 2021
5:52pm, 27 Oct 2021
28,555 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I've ground to a halt in every aspect
On a real self hate path lacking motivation to do anything whilst hating myself and beating myself up as I have so much I should/want to do /achieve
Oct 2021
6:27pm, 27 Oct 2021
18,790 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I've been thinking 'Must post on head thread,' for the past few days. I started it in my down time - enforced track holiday before winter training gets going in earnest. There was such a lot of interesting and varied posts, I wanted to talk about loads ... but then Winter Training started and all my thinking was side tracked to that.

Or something.

Funnily enough I'd decided to restart 'Why Buddhism is Right' too. I enjoyed the two thirds I read before I got distracted - must follow up your Guardian link, Chris.

PS to Chris - another two months before the latest Tana French (with nods to The Searchers film) is out in PB, have to read something....
Oct 2021
8:02pm, 27 Oct 2021
53,335 posts
  •  
DrPhleecingD
I have a whole textbook on music and exercise. I love to have a soundtrack to my runs, it converts the mundane to the interesting. Fine for those who live somewhere quiet to listen to the sounds of nature, but I want to drown out the racket of traffic and motorway droning.

At GSR, music was not only allowed but actively encouraged, which I found fascinating. It’s a race which attracts lots of relative beginners and runners racing for charity, plus the roads are completely closed. I put my music on about 6 miles or so and turned it on when things started getting hard. The roadside music was extensive and much appreciated too :)
Oct 2021
10:00pm, 27 Oct 2021
50,437 posts
  •  
LindsD
Really like Oliver Burkeman

Hugs to Pix

About This Thread

Maintained by Sharkie
All things THINKING.

Not just mindfulness and meditation. Not just the Positive Mental Attitude so...

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.