(Alcoholism) - Can I run every day?

17 watchers
Nov 2015
9:03pm, 12 Nov 2015
249 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
permanent rose - OK, I appreciate your reply. I was just thinking of how you could vary your activities to keep your motivation up (every now and again my running goes a bit flat and I have mini time outs). But it is personal to you and you will know what approach to take. Hope everything works out for you. Baroness above mentioned about logging runs - i think that's an excellent idea and will definitely help focus your motivation.
Nov 2019
2:25pm, 2 Nov 2019
61 posts
  •  
Jazzer Jogging
I’m not an alcoholic but I’ve been very close to people who are ( one devoted AA member )

Running has helped me cope and so has gardening and so has dog walking .i think there is a saying in AA “ take what you need and leave the rest “ Whatever someone is struggling with ive always thought that about sums it up .
Nov 2019
2:35pm, 2 Nov 2019
58,123 posts
  •  
swittle
The quote also appears in The Band's song, 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' [1969]. It tells of raids on the south during the final year of the American Civil War.
Nov 2019
2:45pm, 2 Nov 2019
62 posts
  •  
Jazzer Jogging
Oh ok ! Don’t know the song .not sure about civil wars but in AA I think it just means ...you will probably hear a lot of peoples stories and you will probably get “ advice “ and it’s fine to take what you need from those things and it’s fine if some stuff doesn’t resonate ....just take what you need at the time ( and give what you can ,when you can too I guess )
Nov 2019
4:26pm, 2 Nov 2019
58,124 posts
  •  
swittle
Robbie Robertson of The Band spent 8 months working on the song. As for the quote .'Take what you need and you leave the rest', I couldn't find one definite author. The USA-based organisation, 'Recovery', uses it. My interest? I've been sober for 40 years.

recovery.org

Here's the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VShpcqd3zE
Nov 2019
6:11pm, 2 Nov 2019
63 posts
  •  
Jazzer Jogging
That’s a fantastic thing swittle
Nov 2019
9:07pm, 2 Nov 2019
58,134 posts
  •  
swittle
The Recovery site, or me kicking the booze? Indirectly, going sober led to me taking up running.

Thank-you.
Nov 2019
9:16pm, 2 Nov 2019
35,118 posts
  •  
Nellers
I just checked back and permanent-rose, the fetchie who started this thread way back in 2015, no longer has an active account. I wonder what happened to them? I hope they managed to stick with the running and off the booze. Don't suppose we'll ever know.
Nov 2019
9:27pm, 2 Nov 2019
10,781 posts
  •  
Ness
Don’t suppose we will. Shame really cos I’d like to think things got better for them.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello,

I'm an alcoholic in the process of trying not to be. I've found that if I can get my ar...