Endurance training and heart health

5 watchers
Jan 2022
4:09pm, 14 Jan 2022
799 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Once in a while a runner tragically dies in a race. Recently there was a a lot of news about just such a thing in Sweden.

And there where follow up news articles about the danger about endurance training.

Anyway I found a good article written by Alex Hutchins about the subject that I found interesting.
outsideonline.com

TLDR
it’s better to run than not run.
And, better fitness (vo2max) will make you live longer.
Jan 2022
5:48pm, 15 Jan 2022
11,388 posts
  •  
_andy
Always a tragedy when this happens. Agreed that the bottom line is that all the there are so many other factors that say it's better for you than sitting on the couch.

There was a brilliant BBC "More or Less" podcast debunking terrible stats that seemed to indicate that running (as opposed to gentle jogging) was much more likely to kill you, a few years ago. It's the first item in the podcast and really well explained - it says a lot about understanding stats (and how some these can be easily misinterpretted) bbc.co.uk
Jan 2022
6:30pm, 15 Jan 2022
805 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Interesting, I’ll listen to that thanks.
Jan 2022
7:14am, 17 Jan 2022
2,964 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I've had some heart issues and Prof Sharma is my cardiologist (I'm due to see him again in March). I'm still running, albeit with a different approach, because of his advice - other cardiologists had advised me to stop. There's a lot of things to consider when balancing the risks, but very simply (and personally) the fitness I maintain by continuing running probably outweighs the additional risk from my heart condition.

It's worth noting that the study ahajournals.org is over 4 years old now and there is more data coming through.
Jan 2022
7:27am, 17 Jan 2022
2,117 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
Last year a runner died at a local centre where we go and run marathons regularly. We were not there at the time but went to his ‘memorial race’ where we heard he was a runner who had had a heart attack, previously years ago, had come back from it and he had run over 100 marathons, always smiling and on the morning of the race was happy and smiling, joking and in good spirits, he collapsed almost a mile from the start.

To be honest if I’m going to go… I might aswell go doing something I enjoy!
Jan 2022
7:50am, 17 Jan 2022
810 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Be careful B Rubble.
Jan 2022
8:15am, 17 Jan 2022
2,965 posts
  •  
B Rubble
Thanks Bowman - but as Jelly says there's worse ways to die.

With an average HR of 122 last year I should be OK, but there will always be risks.
Jan 2022
8:35am, 17 Jan 2022
2,966 posts
  •  
B Rubble
That's a running HR of 122, rest HR around 40.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Once in a while a runner tragically dies in a race. Recently there was a a lot of news about just such a thing in Sweden.

And there where follow up news articles about the danger about endurance training.

Anyway I found a good article written by Alex Hutchins about the subject that I found interesting.
outsideonline.com

TLDR
it’s better to run than not run.
And, better fitness (vo2max) will make ...