(Alcoholism) - Can I run every day?

17 watchers
Nov 2015
10:48am, 10 Nov 2015
16,796 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I had what I describe as a depressive episode a number of years ago. I had been self-medicating for a long time beforehand and the combination of stress, depressants and depression pushed me over the edge, job quit, stayed in the house either sleeping or drinking, the whole kit and caboodle.

I found that running, at the time, had a very beneficial effect on my outlook, and, of course, as I got fitter, it gave me an additional focus, my self-esteem was improved, my health was better. I quit drinking totally for about three years.

At the time, I didn't run every day, I had a routine but with the flexibility that I could drop in another session if I felt I needed it.

To be honest, there's no reason why you can't get out every day, if you listen to your body. It'll certainly be less harmful than the alternative, although it would be helpful if you could find an alternative in case of injury, as this could kick your crutch away and return you to the old path.

I wish you luck. We're a supportive bunch here, feel free to keep asking questions...
Nov 2015
6:09am, 12 Nov 2015
13,686 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Welcome to Fetch. You will get lots of support here. Well done on making a change for the positive and recognising when you need to act. I know it's not easy. The very best of luck. Keep posting :-)
Nov 2015
1:00pm, 12 Nov 2015
244 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
IMHO - it doesn't have to be a run every day. Just keep moving, whether it's a run, walk, cycle, swim etc. etc.
Nov 2015
1:02pm, 12 Nov 2015
245 posts
  •  
tonyp2604
also - gardening is great! A good workout and very satisfying being outside. If you don't have a garden, consider getting an allotment - you also get the benefit of your own veggies/fruit.
Nov 2015
1:09pm, 12 Nov 2015
1,929 posts
  •  
Red Ant
Welcome to Fetch and well done with making a positive change to your life. Keep on running :)
Nov 2015
1:22pm, 12 Nov 2015
6,329 posts
  •  
Duchess
But consider if you're swapping one addiction for another.
Nov 2015
1:45pm, 12 Nov 2015
5,486 posts
  •  
Jambomo
I'd agree with DeeGee running everyday is better than the alternative and as long as you build up pace and distance slowly, you should be ok. As said though, illness and injury happen to the best of us so you might want to look into other things that help alongside running so that you have support if you can't run for any reason.

Best wishes, well done on making such a positive change.
Nov 2015
5:23pm, 12 Nov 2015
3 posts
  •  
permanent-rose
"also - gardening is great! A good workout and very satisfying being outside. If you don't have a garden, consider getting an allotment - you also get the benefit of your own veggies/fruit."

No, this isn't how it works. When I'm obsessing about drink it's like an itch you can't scratch. It's not a case of thinking, ooh I'll just go and do a bit of gentle gardening to take my mind off it.

It's more the case that it's an absolute struggle to force myself to put down the wallet and go upstairs and start getting changed into them damn running shorts - and then get your backside out of that door and start running without even stopping for a second to give yourself chance to change your mind.....

Then once I'm out I just keep running until I'm not thinking about being drunk anymore. However long that takes.

It's like pressing the reset button for my mind.
Nov 2015
6:02pm, 12 Nov 2015
25,128 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi permanent rose - and welcome to Fetch.

We have a thread over here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=18416 where 100-200 of us regularly chat about how running has helped us beat or contain alcohol. Come and join in the chat!

Best of luck, :-) G
Nov 2015
6:34pm, 12 Nov 2015
4,760 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Running at this time of year is often not fun or easy so well done for getting on and doing it. Are you logging your running on this site too - you can put so much info there, how you felt, what the weather was like, what shoes you wore as well as where you went and how fast you ran - on difficult days you may be able to refer to the training log and see which runs have been easier/more helpful etc.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello,

I'm an alcoholic in the process of trying not to be. I've found that if I can get my ar...