Wheezy does it - An asthma chat thread

17 watchers
Nov 2019
3:09pm, 5 Nov 2019
30,590 posts
  •  
LindsD
I think I just got into a cycle of throat-clearing and coughing and that was self perpetuating. I tried to stop throat-clearing and gradually it went away, just about. Took over a year, though.
Nov 2019
3:40pm, 5 Nov 2019
9,399 posts
  •  
larkim
My wife struggles with breathing being the limiting factor in terms of exerting herself, most evident during running. No specific shortness of breath, just that she doesn't feel she can get any more O2 in to fuel higher effort levels. Having read about elites and the marginal gains associated with identifying if you have just a very small %age of asthmatic tendencies, is it at all feasible that a mild case of asthma, unnoticeable in day to day activities, is present with her? Would it be worth getting a cheap spirometer off ebay and just having a look at the values before bothering the NHS with what is primarily a leisure issue?
Nov 2019
4:13pm, 5 Nov 2019
33,062 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There is a type of asthma called Exercise Induced Asthma larks. (as I know you like a source to be cited, I Googled, but interestingly only got US sources. NHS was mute on the Exercise Induced bit... hmmm)

mayoclinic.org

Anyhoo, I get symptoms when sleeping, generally through the day or night (slightly wheezy and induces a cough, like Linds describes). However, I don't feel "short of breath" (O2 deficit). However, if I am trying to do hard running, with the wheeze and/or cough, it def impairs me. But not just going upstairs or anything.

Worth Mrs larks getting checked. I'd think. :-) G
Nov 2019
4:48pm, 5 Nov 2019
887 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
I had exercise induced asthma as a child, but grew out of it. When I get colds now, I do sometimes get the same wheezing that I experienced as a child and blue inhalers help it. However, it feels different from the asthma because this cold-related wheezing is a bit 'wet' but asthma wheezing always felt 'dry'.

One thing I haven't grown out of is allergies. When I'm near allergens I get proper wheeziness that feels much more similar to my childhood asthma. Might it be worth looking at whether you have any undiagnosed allergies, G?
Nov 2019
4:56pm, 5 Nov 2019
33,064 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm allergic to everything LL! Dust, pollen, hair, horses, dogs, cats...! I live by a field, with a wife with a dog and horses, and we never do the dusting...! I was off the antihistamines, but I've decided just to start taking them again. And nasal steroid! :-) G
Nov 2019
5:01pm, 5 Nov 2019
890 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
It'll be interesting to see if going back on the antihistamines and nasal steroids has any impact on the wheezing...
Nov 2019
11:24pm, 5 Nov 2019
30,595 posts
  •  
LindsD
I still take nasal steroids
I find they really help.
Nov 2019
11:50pm, 5 Nov 2019
46,078 posts
  •  
GlennR
Evening all. I’m about the same as :) G in this regard. Antihistamines, nasal steroids, combined inhaler- flutiform.
Nov 2019
12:06am, 6 Nov 2019
483 posts
  •  
Strutbrother
Interesting stuff here. I'm also on various inhalers (blue for relief, purple fluticasone for prevention) but have recently been also prescribed Montelukast. Apparently it is also used as an anti-allergens medication, I'm allergic to cats although we have six of the fluffy things! I actually breathe better out of the house so I'm not sure if I have asthma (as my doctor says) or if I'm just being effected by the cats? My chest has been often tight for years (pre-cat days) but l am better when I a) take my meds regularly and b) exercise regularly.
Nov 2019
5:27am, 6 Nov 2019
507 posts
  •  
megster
Been asthmatic since I was about 8. Identifying triggers is really useful - laughing hard, going out into the cold, pollen, getting a cold- and I’ve found our asthma nurse to be great at the asthma clinics. I’ve got Qvar daily as a preventer and my ventolin is never out of sight.

Interestingly (for me), these days my wheezing is always worse if I’ve forgotten to carry my ventolin.

Peak flow PB for me last week at 580 🌟

About This Thread

Maintained by Binks
Just thought I would start a general asthma talk thread. I don't see any currently that are not spe...