1 watcher
Jul 2014
10:36am, 25 Jul 2014
8,480 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Hello fetchies

I'm having a bit of a problem

I don't get normal hayfever really. But I'm having a bit of a nightmare and not sure whether I'm imagining it

At this time of year, I race cycling time trials in the evenings. On the evenings when the pollen count is really high, I quite simply, feel like I can't breathe when racing. I remember noticing this trying to run off road in the summer when I was a runner. I feel fine, but it's like my chest is really tight, almost like an asthma attack, really struggle to get air in or out, can't work out which. It's really affecting my racing though. Last night (and Tuesday) were awful on the trying to breathe front.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this, or am I talking total nonsense and imagining this?!
Jul 2014
4:37pm, 25 Jul 2014
10,726 posts
  •  
GlennR
It's been a bad year for it Gymfreak. I suffer from asthma anyway and the pollen count, together with the heat has been playing havoc with it.

If you go to the doctor you will probably walk out with a prescription for a peak flow meter and a salbutamol inhaler. If there's no other underlying problem the latter will help.
Jul 2014
6:10pm, 25 Jul 2014
8,481 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Hmmm I can't exactly get an inhaler out at 25-30 mph on a bike though!!
Is there anything you can take before rather than during?
Jul 2014
6:13pm, 25 Jul 2014
5,713 posts
  •  
Ness
I hope one of the Fetch doctors comes along to give some advice, gymfreak.

Would anti-histamines / Piriton make a difference? Hope that there is something to give you a bit of relief.
Jul 2014
7:42pm, 25 Jul 2014
235 posts
  •  
jono*
second wot GennR said - my asthma has been awful this year, if the normal inhalers don't work, Docs can prescribe a preventative one, which I find helps alot.

I have perfected taking my blue inhaler whilst marathon running GymFreak :)
Jul 2014
8:00pm, 25 Jul 2014
8,482 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
It would be an easier thing to do running at marathon pace than in a skinsuit in a TT position at 28mph on a dual carriageway!!
Jul 2014
8:09pm, 25 Jul 2014
17,732 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
The plan would be to take it before. Steroid inhalers taken regularly or even a long acting B2 agonist (such as salmeterol) taken shortly before the race would help.
Jul 2014
9:19pm, 25 Jul 2014
8,483 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Perfect- so there is something :) might go see my GP then thank you
Jul 2014
6:51pm, 26 Jul 2014
28 posts
  •  
hurricanehamlyn
I was diagnosed last year with seasonal asthma due to hay fever. Have a preventative (brown) inhaler and a blue one. However I found that I also needed strong antihistamines 180 mg as opposed to the 10mg over the counter ones when it gets really bad so it may be worth investigating these as well as/ instead of inhalers.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gymfreak
Hello fetchies

I'm having a bit of a problem

I don't get normal hayfever really. But I'm ha...