Exercise induced urticaria (spots!)

1 watcher
Sep 2018
2:24pm, 13 Sep 2018
174 posts
  •  
Non-runner
To my horror I have suddenly developed exercise induced itchy spottiness, technically urticaria or hives. Following exercise, even if I don’t feel particularly sweaty, my torso is completely covered in small red bumps that itch like crazy and take hours to go down. It happens after even short runs or biking. Does anyone else have this and how do you deal with it? Will it ever go? Taking an antihistamine and dabbing calamine lotion on so far, plus have switched my laundry liquid to non-bio. Thanks.
Sep 2018
2:40pm, 13 Sep 2018
24,353 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Don't bother switching your laundry powder. It's one of the physical urticarias. I get it occasionally. Antihistamine will deal with the itch. It's well described and usually a nuisance rather than a problem
Sep 2018
2:45pm, 13 Sep 2018
24,354 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Useful info here

patient.info
Sep 2018
9:55pm, 13 Sep 2018
16,693 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Do you take any anti-inflammatories eg ibuprofen, aspirin (or any others)? I found ibuprofen could make me itch quite a bit, especially if combined with activity, and possibly, sunlight. I read HB's link and it lists anti-inflammatories as a possibly aggravating factor for hives.

(Of course, I am now sitting here scratching away. I was fine before.)
Sep 2018
8:21am, 14 Sep 2018
175 posts
  •  
Non-runner
Thank you, this is all helpful. I don’t take anti inflammatories but I do have a wasp sting allergy and it was alarming to me that I suddenly developed similar symptoms, for no apparent reason. I’ve exercised vigorously all my life and it has come out of the blue and I would quite like to know why it has suddenly started. Still, guess I will just have to live with it, as long as it stays on my torso I can manage it.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Non-runner
To my horror I have suddenly developed exercise induced itchy spottiness, technically urticaria or h...